soon I shall have an empty 55 - what shall I place in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting a new tank for my africans which will free up 55 gallons of real estate.

I want to do a community tank, but have never done one before. I know africans fairly well, but I have no idea what type of fish would go in a community tank.

I like the idea of having multiple schools of fish. And I think I'd like to stick with smaller varieties (less than 3-4") in order to keep more in the tank. I also want it to be a nice, peaceful tank (unlike my africans).

I had thought about maybe an angelfish or two, but I've seen conflicting stories about them in community tanks...

My tap water comes out with a consistent ph of 7.0 and a gh of less than 6 (my test kit doesn't really distinguish anything until you hit around 8 or so).

Tetras will swim at lower and mid-levels, and I personally keep them in schools of at least seven (max size for them would be around 2 1/2 inches each, except for neons, which stay at about 1 to 1.5 inches). I've found danios are pretty much fail-safe, and they also like schools - you could go with giant danios, which max out around 3-4 inches. They will get along with tetras, and will swim at mid and upper levels. Corydoras catfish are cute little suckers, and love to be in groups - depending on the type, corys are anywhere from about 1 to 3 inches each. They'd be your bottom feeders. All these fish would love some live plants if you have sufficient light for them. You could also go for low-light plants, and if planted densely enough, the cycle will be much easier.

A 55 could support a nice school of hatchetfish, which are upper water fish, but you have to have a good fitting lid, as they can be easily frightened and go sailing out of the tank.

I'm hoping to get hold of a gently used 55 soon, and will be going with 5 fancy goldfish. . . not the school you have in mind, I'm sure, but so irresistible to me.

This is my 29 Gallon Community Tank—8 assorted Cory Cats, Rubber Lip Pleco, 2 “Clown” Rams, 2 Kuhli Loaches, Butterfly Loach, 3 Silver-tip Tetras, 2 Red Minor Tetras, young convict cichlid (just visiting), 3 clown loaches (just visiting), 2 brichardi, and 4 assorted “rounder” Tetras.
I used to have more tetras, but over my first move with them, a couple jumped :cry: The "just visiting" guys are growing up and will be placed in the 80 gal cichlid tank one day.
I love my community tank. They are for the most part small and colorful. I am going to move everyone into a 50 soon and the 29 may become a peaceful cichlid tank, or the other way around (so many fishes, hard to decide!)
The male silver tip tetras are orange in color with striking silver tips, my female, is dull. The red minors are also called Serpae Tetras, personally, I would like more of them. Stay away from tetras with a more rounded body, as these have the nipping rep.
I have fake plants; the julii and panda cories are keeping them nice and clean!
In any event, you have many choices. Good luck!

my tanks are all biotope style tanks. id like to think looking into one of my tanks would be close to looking at fish in their natural habitat.

That's the ideal tank to start growing out some young discus (my favorites). :D

Heck.....I'd go with Rainbowfish! Though I haven't kept them in years and years (and even then very few of them) I've seen some absolutely gorgeous ones in my favorite lfs of late. If I had a tank to put them in then I'd certainly give them serious consideration!!

Allivymar - that's a pretty cool site to start with, thanks

BrianNY - those discus fish look really good. What has been your experience with them (in a nutshell, that is)?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think a biotope tank would be pretty cool...

deli_conker: one of the schemas I felt in lowe with (for my 55 gal tank) for my first setup:

8 zebra danios
6 lemon tetras
6 neon tetras
6 corys
5 sunset platties
1 plecko

Got the idea from a book "Freshwater aquariums - getting started" or something like that.

To be honest, I am looking into a different path. To replace a community tank with something different. Not sure what yet.

getting started...

hmmm. I wish I had a 55... between my own experience, preferance, and what I"ve been reading here I would suggest some corys for sure. If you get a nice sized group of them you can watch them school a bit. Otos will do that to a little. The otos don't get very big at all but they do a wonderful job of keeping both brown and green algae under control. I like them but some people prefer the plecos because there are more interesting species of them. If you do decide to get a pleco just make sure it isn't one that will get big. When I was helping out in a pet store we had people bringing in their plecos that were around a foot long... they will mess up a nicely planted tank, very frustrating... I like the khuli loaches as well, another bottom feeder but very interesting... I also think some tetras and danios would make for a good community... platys wouldn't be bad either and they come in a variety of colors... No offense to anyone who likes them but I don't get peoples fascination with angel fish... most of the ones I've seen are fairly plain in color... other than having a tank full of them come up to get some food, I have no interest in them at all... I guess it's just me... there is really a lot of options, lots of interesting ideas... I'ts a matter of taste and expense for some peope like myself... as pretty as a $200 fish might be, there's no way you'll ever see me with one in my tank... Good luck deciding and let us know what you chose...

I'm going to start researching fish now. Will have the tank ready in about a month. I'll post pics when both tanks are done...

Thanks all...

Back
Top Bottom