SOS!!! Advice needed re painting back of tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have successfully painted the back of my 3ft tank in the past using a spray flat black enamel, so I decided to use the same product to paint the back of my new 4x2x2.

The tank (although new) was dirty and a bit scratched in places (there was a reason he makes 'em cheap I think) so I cleaned it with white vinegar.

I thought I had cleaned it pretty well - it sure looked clean - but after 2 coats of paint I could see a streaky film from the inside that I knew would drive me nuts, so I have just finished removing all of the paint with acetone.

Could anyone who has successfully sprayed the back of their tank PLEASE advise me on the best way to prepare the surface so this doesn't happen again?

I'm assuming it was remnants of vinegar that caused the streaking so I'm worried that the acetone might do the same. I have cleaned it some more using window cleaner - where to from here? Am I ready to tackle it again do you think, or is there some other preparation I should do to make sure the glass is free from any contaminants?

Desperate for advice as I've had all sorta of set backs with painting the stand and I am so wanting to get this tank set up already!!!!

My husband paints cars, he said use a degreaser .. There's a special one he uses for the cars but I don't know the name in English sorry,

Use rubbing alcohol and wipe dry. You could hang something dark on the back of the tank to check for streaks before you paint.

Thanks! I think the streaks were caused by the vinegar that I hadn't completely gotten rid of reacting with the paint.

I've just finished cleaning it within an inch of its life and it's all taped up and ready to spray. Fingers crossed otherwise it's back to the drawing board and maybe just use black plastic taped onto the back.

Anyways, here goes nothing ;)

You should try a spray on product called Plastidip. It's goes on easy and if you want to remove it you start it with a blade and then peel it off by hand. No chemical required to remove. Just strong finger tips/hands.

You should try a spray on product called Plastidip. It's goes on easy and if you want to remove it you start it with a blade and then peel it off by hand. No chemical required to remove. Just strong finger tips/hands.

I've already gone ahead and done one coat but I checked out plasti dip and it's available here in Australia so now I'm wondering if it's suitable for use in the aquarium and whether it would be a good choice to paint my eheim filter intake black to blend in with the background? Any idea??

I don't know how water safe it is with regard to fish. But I painted the backs if my tanks with it. Very durable, people paint their auto rims with it.

Plasti dip is being used to coat the ends of flourescent tubes being used over salt tanks, [ DIY cheap light set up ] so once dry I think it's not a problem in terms of safety. But the solvent used while it's still wet is one I'd be careful with. But once dry, it's mainly just a plastic film, water and salt proof. Kind of costly, but much easier to take off if need be later than paint is.

I'd guess the problem with the paint was more than likely grease, since vinegar should have rinsed off without much effort. But all sorts of greasy or waxy substances can be quite hard to take off. Solvents, like acetone, remove most of them, but ordinary ammonia is also a very good degreaser and wax remover, so if you have some around, that's a good one to clean glass with before paint. Just rinse very thoroughly and dry well first.

Back
Top Bottom