Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

SOS Drowning in all kinds of algae PLEASE HELP

Alright I will get right down to business, but first thanks for coming and helping! anyway I will be uploading several photos the first is of my tank pre-algae drowning event. The second will be current and today, ok to begin, I do not have any water testing kits the ones I do have are all kaput. So I will do my best to give the conditions of my tap water which I condition before adding to the tank(trying to switch to RODI going to be at least two more weeks before I can get my hands on a RODI filter). My water to say the least is hard I don't think this has as much to do with the issue as does the fact that before my tank was setup both substrate and plants that were in a previous algae filled tank were added to the aquarium. In my mind I thought hey no big deal I will be taking care of the aquarium right it will just disappear no. As you can see in the photo it went into complete takeover and my nerite snails only just started to take care of it. Unfortunately the two little guys seem to have gotten a tad full and have become lazy and wont do anything more I don't blame them though as they have a little bit more than a buffet going on here. I know I am supposed to do water changes and have been I have only just started by I have been only doing one every day which is 20% which I usually do every two weeks. I don't know how to stop it and it appears I apparently also have cyanobacteria which I believed to have had killed after I left the lights off for a week and covered the tank with a heavy blanket. Any and all help is needed feel more than welcome to respond and please help me through this! Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	309606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	309607  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	309608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	309609  

Voxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

what lights are you using? how long are they on? are you dosing ferts? what kind of substrate are you using?

most algae is due to to much light or excess nutrients. if you give it food and light it will grow. cut those out(or down) and it will die. get more plants in the tank to absorb any excess nutrients. do a heavy cleaning of the tank scrubbing all the plants as much as possible, glass, rocks and then siphon the tank to clean out all the algae you knocked loose.if your lights are on for say 10 hours a day then cut them back to 8 hours. i do at least 30% water changes weekly and scrub the glass, siphon waste i see on the substrate and scrub some rocks i see building up algae.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply, I’m using the stock top fin 29 gallon lights(bright but not very powerful). I’m using the natgeo substrate, I’m waiting to get a python water changer/gravel vac so hopefully that will get here soon. I just scrubbed the glass down so I guess that will slow it down for now, I rubbed off the brown algae from my anubias and trimmed the leaves that were dyeing out from under it. Thanks so much!
Old 07-10-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

How long are the lights on per day (been asked already)?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Light cycle?? I don't think that low powered of a light would cause that but I've been wrong before, but here's what I would do, manually remove as much as you can, you don't have a lot of plants so cut your dosing to 1/2 of what you're doing (if any at all), you have a huge imbalance somewhere, do a 50 % water change with substrate vac to remove decayed organics, lower light cycle to 4-5 hours, feed more lightly, increase flow in the tank.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What foods are you using as well?

I would also get some Purigen and some PhosGuard. Cheapest online.

Is the light LED or a CFL?
CFL replacement with something like thishttps://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fish/fish-tank-hoods-lighting/replacement-aquarium-bulbs/zoo-med-t-5-ho-flora-sun-max-plant-growth-fluorescent-bulb
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...bulb-24-length

https://seachem.com/purigen.php
https://www.seachem.com/phosguard.php

Take the suggestions of cleaning and water changes.

Maybe a couple Mystery snails.

What filter?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

Alright my light cycle is just about 7-8 hours, I dose irregularly and that is probably one of the causes I will cut it down to a small amount every two weeks plan on adding some java fern to help. I plan on doing a 50% water change tomorrow, again I can’t gravel vac yet because I don’t have one so I will also just have to have another set of hands doing their best to scoop up any floating debris with a net till then. My lights are led but detachable in case I want to get a better light after awhile. As for snails I’m hesitant to get any more than the two nerites I have now because I don’t want a insane amount of snails taking over the tank especially with the dwarf cichlids I want to add. Thanks for the advice all!!!
Old 07-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
What foods are you using as well?
What filter?
Iím using some old food from my last tank itís messy I will take a look at the ones suggested as for the filter itís a top fin 30 gallon.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxon View Post
Alright my light cycle is just about 7-8 hours, I dose irregularly and that is probably one of the causes I will cut it down to a small amount every two weeks plan on adding some java fern to help. I plan on doing a 50% water change tomorrow, again I can’t gravel vac yet because I don’t have one so I will also just have to have another set of hands doing their best to scoop up any floating debris with a net till then. My lights are led but detachable in case I want to get a better light after awhile. As for snails I’m hesitant to get any more than the two nerites I have now because I don’t want a insane amount of snails taking over the tank especially with the dwarf cichlids I want to add. Thanks for the advice all!!!

if you havent bought your python system you can build your own like i did. here is the one i use for my larger tanks and i have a shorter one for my smaller 10 and 20g tanks. very easy to make and cheap. i think it was like $10 for me to make this(i already had the water hose)
oh i did mean to say this doesnt work as a vac. thats the only down side to it. its just for water changes.

here is a video of a guy showing how it works. his is built just a bit different from mine.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
if you havent bought your python system you can build your own like i did. here is the one i use for my larger tanks and i have a shorter one for my smaller 10 and 20g tanks. very easy to make and cheap. i think it was like $10 for me to make this(i already had the water hose)
oh i did mean to say this doesnt work as a vac. thats the only down side to it. its just for water changes.

here is a video of a guy showing how it works. his is built just a bit different from mine.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com