sounds like my fish are doing well with me away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I left my neighbor in care of my tanks. I portioned out food, prime, salt and everything for him, and taped it all to the tanks, labeled with the days to use them.

He called this morning and said everyone is fine and eating. no dead fishies so far.

Yay =). I'll be relieved when i can get home and give them a big ol' H2O change

Great news! I recently vacationed and used automated feeders on all my tanks for the first time. Worked pretty well though they probably hated getting only flake food while I was away.

FishyPeanut,

That's what I did as well. Never EVER show someone how much to feed, because something happens when they are alone with the tank where they want to dump 5X the proper amount in the tank. I was gone for 8 days and had 8 dixie cups labeled with my food already portioned out.

I had on a piece of paper, "If you forget to feed on a day DO NOT put that cup and the current day's cup in. Just leave the one you missed!". Came home and had 1 death which is causing me an algae bloom, but it didn't appear to be related to anything that was done/not done to the tank.

my mom takes care of the fish for me while I am away, and she told me the last time that she was scared she was overfeeding them. I told her if she thought she was overfeeding, she probably was, so cut the amount back a little.

She gets a kick out of taking care of them too, she will sit around my place for over an hour just watching the tanks.

Always good to hear the fish are doing well when on vacation. I'm going to be out of town for two weeks coming up shortly, and that's a bit too long to go without feeding. I've got a friend I'm going to ask to stop by every few days and feed. Luckily he has tanks, but he doesn't really take care of them too well (just top offs, no water changes). I'll have the food portioned out for him.

Nice to hear. I just got back from a trip. My parents took care of my tanks (They had to split them between them, I have so many, lol). But I had a 2 day old brood of krib babies, and the last time I left krib fry for a few days, most of them died. But this time I came back, and it seems most of them made it. At least, there's still too many of them to count, so I feel pretty good. I took an idea from AA and premeasured food for everyone. I should have done it for the ferts too, cause now I have a ton of algae that's never been there before.
Alas. Can't have it all.

Mosaic said:
Nice to hear. I just got back from a trip. My parents took care of my tanks (They had to split them between them, I have so many, lol). But I had a 2 day old brood of krib babies, and the last time I left krib fry for a few days, most of them died. But this time I came back, and it seems most of them made it. At least, there's still too many of them to count, so I feel pretty good. I took an idea from AA and premeasured food for everyone. I should have done it for the ferts too, cause now I have a ton of algae that's never been there before.
Alas. Can't have it all.

Check for fish deaths. A lot of times its not the ferts in deficiency but a suddden increase in ammonia before the biological filter can take care of it that causes the algae. Since you have babies in the tank, check your nitrAte, nitrIte, and ammonia levels to see if there is a high amount of any. That would be a sure sign something is/did rot.

Back
Top Bottom