South American (Bee) Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have three south american puffers currently in a 45 gallon long tank and they always seem to be pacing the glass and i dont know why. Does anyone have any info about how to stop this or make them feel more secure? Here's a pic of the tankImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442604384.234555.jpg

I've been wanting some of these for a long time but I can never find them except on Aquabid certain times of the year. Where did you get yours? I'm sorry but I don't know why they are pacing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got mine at a local fish store called the fish place in north tonawanda, they normally come in once a year around January, i think they may still have some

Puffers will pace the glass if they get bored. Try adding more plants, caves, and deco to give them places to explore.

I have one of these pea puffers. He often will pace around. Just add some stuff or change things up because like said about they can get "bored" and like to explore.

Caleb

Stress. These puffers need to be kept in groups. IMO they should not be sold they are cute but extremely hard to keep. They need to be in groups, they need pristine water, and they need teeth trimmed. Unlike my other puffers that you can just feed shelled fish to keep there teeth worn down. Brazilian puffers teeth grow extremely fast they must have there teeth trimmed regularly. Very experienced puffer keepers have trouble with these little guys. Wish you the best of luck.

Awesome fish, I have 2 dwarfs and they're amazing. Only reason they would pace the glass is out of boredom. Add lots of plants, mine never pace and are constantly exploring everything. One thing they definitely enjoy are caves and rock work. There are lots of designs you can make with just some slate from PetCo and lava rock that they will love. Your tank looks good, but just a little 2 dimensional make it really captivating for the fish and interesting too.

Back
Top Bottom