South American Centerpiece Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I have like 3 threads on stocking for tanks, but I have two and I'm getting two more (one for father and one for sister) and I'm horrible at stocking so I constantly need help, sorry!! I'm going to make a South American biotope which I am putting 8 peppered cories, and 2 tetra schools of 10. I would love to try to save some of eggs of the cories so I'm looking for a South American center piece that won't do too much damage to the eggs... if that's possible. Also any ideas on tetras are good! :thanks:

What size tank? I first thought of a German Blue ram, but they may eat some of the cory eggs.

The tetras will eat eggs like they are candy. Rams would be nice in the tank but I have had issues with corys and rams sharing the same tank space.

The tetras will eat eggs like they are candy. Rams would be nice in the tank but I have had issues with corys and rams sharing the same tank space.

Ah, so there's barely any way to save any eggs?:ermm: Okay, I could always save an extra tank to try to breed them:) Thanks for the info!(y)

I love both of those! I wish that they had pencilfish around here, but I've never seen them... I'm thinking either a bolivian ram or german blue ram. They're both gorgeous! Thanks for those ideas bruinsbro1997:)
edit: actually I just looked on this amazing fish store and they have these amazing pencilfish! thanks for introducing me

Okay, so rams out? I'm not sure these eggs are going to last... I just hope that I see them before something eats them when my cories have eggs or my rams do (if I get them)!

While breeding is cool it doesn't factor into stocking a community tank, since there are ways around that. Choose the fish you want then worry about breeding later, I always find seperate breeding tanks yield me higher results.

That sounds reasonable! So I think that I'm going to get Bolivian rams:). They're really cool! Thanks for everyone's input especially yours HUKIT!

If you get a male and a female they should be fine. A 55 g should be enough room for them.

Which one is better bolivian rams or German blue rams? As in better I mean better in a community tank and easier to take care of, however if one is more personable the easiness can be thrown to the side because I'm willing to spend extra time caring for them!

Honestly, I found no difference between my Bolivian ram and German Blue ram, other than the German Blue was more colorful. My BR died a few weeks after I got it, from what i'm assuming was just a bad stock. My german blue ram is much prettier, and needs no extra care. Weekly water changes and good food will do it. I'd say to try out the german blue rams.

Back
Top Bottom