South American Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dale97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would I be able to keep Cory catfish with South American Cichlids

With the dwarf cichlids, you could.

However with larger cichlids, the Cory cats will not be a good choice. They would be picked on and harassed especially after the cichlids set up territory. A big factor though is tank size and also if there is plenty of hiding places the cories could fit into that the cichlids can't (and therefore can't claim as territory). While it may be possible, it would be highly unlikely with the larger cichlids.

Please share your tank info and what fish in particular you're thinking of so we could help better :)

I was considering convicts and/or firemouths. My tank is 30 gallons

I was considering convicts and/or firemouths. My tank is 30 gallons

Don't do either of those with cory cats if you had no tankmates and rehomed the cats you could do a breeding pair of convicts or firemouths.

That I would not recommend. They both can become very territorial and aggressive. I also think that that tank is too small for convicts and fire mouths (with other fish in it), but that's my opinion.

Have you looked at German blue rams or Bolivian rams? They are cichlids too and would do good in that tank. There are others also, but those are the 2 I can think of off hand.

And what Josh said works too. No Cory cats and only get a m/f pair of convicts or fire mouths.

Ok. Thanks for the help. What about a plecostomus? I already have one that's about 6". Would it do ok with those types of fish?

Ok. Thanks for the help. What about a plecostomus? I already have one that's about 6". Would it do ok with those types of fish?

What fish are you going with depends on if you can add the pleco or not and what type is it?

Back
Top Bottom