South American Puffer Brackish Or Fresh Water???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does any one know if a South American Puffer is brackish or Fresh water. My LFS said it was Brackish. It was labeled a Striped s.a. Puffer so im assuming its a South American Puffer. It in my Brackish Tank Right now and seems to be doing fine.

Here is a photo

I am wondering why my lfs had It in a brackish tank and told me the puffer was brackish. what should i do i have it in a brackish tank and no fw tank to put it in?????????

Print out that info I just gave you & give it to the LFS you'll be returning that FW puffer to.

And what happens if you don't clip them? I don't think anybody clips their teeth when they are in their "natural habitat".

Ohso noone's told you about the fish dentist?

they should be fed shelled food once a week minimum from all ive heard

fsh said:
And what happens if you don't clip them? I don't think anybody clips their teeth when they are in their "natural habitat".

Their teeth are trimmed when they eat snails and other inverts, which are the puffers natural source of food. however in the aquarium this particular species can never get enough shelled foods and eventually will need it's teeth trimmed or face starvation.

Putting fish in clove oil sounds really risky & not to mention frightning to me. Ill probably just stay away from the puffer even though they are super duper cute or maybe Ill just ask "cdawson" to cut my puffers teeth.

How many Snail would you Have to feed it daily to keep the teeth Trimed. I feed my gsp One snail Daily is this enough or 2 much?

That's fine. The SAP would need a constant diet of snails, if you didn't want to trim teeth. I have had sucess with clove oil, except in a fish weakened from starvation w/bad teeth.

Pufferpunk said:
That's fine. The SAP would need a constant diet of snails, if you didn't want to trim teeth. I have had sucess with clove oil, except in a fish weakened from starvation w/bad teeth.

Clove oil worked great for mine, he was perfectly healthy and eating fine. Except for the bucky the beaver look :lol:

Back
Top Bottom