South American Tank Crash - Urgent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamsZoological

Aquarium Advice Freak
Howdy all,
Found myself in quite the dilema today, and I'm at a loss for what could be going on. Early this morning, I checked in on my 75gal South American Cichlid tank to find a not so nice surprise, my approx 6-7" Crenicichla sp. (Pike Cichlid), bottom up, stiff. Just 24 hrs prior, this fish was out, feeding as normal, full of energy, and his usual self. Approximately 10 minutes after removing that body, I went by the tank again, to find my 16-17" H. plecostomus, on his back, gasping, when I had removed the pike, this fish was in his normal spot, attached to the glass, as I said, this was 10 minutes before I had observed him like that, also, I notcied him feeding, and acting normal the day before. I couldnt make a diagnosis of a problem, so instead of adding possibly uneeded medications/chemicals, I did a 10% water change, and left the tank. I returned about 15-20 minutes later, to find the plecostomus, dead. There is also two other inhabitants in the tank, a 12" A. ocellatus(Oscar), and an approx. 8" P. managuense(Jaguar/Managua Cichlid). Both are behaving normally, but arent looking the greatest, the Jaguar has one spot where a portion of his slime coat appears to be sloughing off, and the Oscar has several spots that look like superficial scrapes, and also slight slime coat sloughing in places. Both are also still feeding normally. The pike when removed, appeared physically fine, no marks, or external signs of anything. The plecostomus has a slight scrape along his tail, and what appeared to be excess slime coat covering his body. The last water change on the tank was about 25% approximately 10 days prior. Water tests this morning showed everything stable where it has been for months. A pH of about 6.2, low yes, but what they have been accustomed to, and also not much below what South Americans prefer anyhow. NH3 of 0, NO2 of 0, and NO3 of 20ppm. Immediately after removing the last casualty, I proceeded to do a large water change, about 50%, still unknowing of what the problem is, and not wanting to add medications that would only do extra harm. Any ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Mitch
Adams Zoological Inc.

Whoa Mitch; that sucks.

One of the things which can cause rapid breathing and mucus production is low Ph levels, although I don't think your levels are THAT low.

There are a number of other things which present similar signs; I'll give you a list and my suggestion is to go to http://www.fish-disease.com/diseases.htm to read up on them and see if any fit:

Costia (although your fish are eating)
Columnaris (doesn't fit exactly, but is the one thing I know of which is that virulent and can kill that quickly)
Discus plague (yes I know not all your guys are cichlids, but for some reason this one strikes a chord with your description)
Oodinium (velvet) You don't mention any talc like coating, but also fits a few symptoms

I hate to ask, but is it possible to autopsy one of the dead fish? It may point to something more specific.

I checked the links you posted, nothing really seems to be dead on. A few seem like possibilities, but its hard to be sure. Most recent, the two fish left seem to be coming around very rapidly since the water change this morning. Neither of them have any of the slime coat/mucus hanging off of them, and the apparent scrapes that the Oscar had over his body already look partially healed. To answer your question, a necropsy on either of the casualties would be difficult. The closest lab is about 750 miles from here, and they only take animals sent from vet offices. So, I would have to get the bodies into the vet, which charge for their services of, well handling the body for shipment, and then the lab fees at the closest place, are to say the least, out there. Thanks for your help, let me know if you have any other ideas.
Cheers,
Mitch
Adams Zoological Inc.

Back
Top Bottom