South American tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salmon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How would I get started on a South American tank that would include all kinds of tetras and characins? What kind of filtration, water quality and and decor would you use? Also, what are some good fish to start with?

Water quality should be excellent, as is the case with any other fish you keep. :)
There are a few tetras that are not from the South American region (ex. Alestiidae family), but most of the common ones you see at pet stores are. Make sure you check on individual species if you're determined to have a biotope- as Menagerie said, there's a lot to choose from!

Filtration is dependent on the size of the tank and the number and kinds of fish put in it. Many people use filters the next rating up from what would be considered "normal" for the tank size.

Decor could be dependent on what individual habitat you select from amid the South American possibilities, or you could mix and match among that group. The Monga Bay site linked to above also has an excellent informational page on biotope aquariums that you can see here: http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope.htm.

One of my favorites and one of the hardiest fish from South America that you may want to consider is the Bolivian ram (Microgeophagus altispinosa), a small, peaceful cichlid that acquires quite an astounding array of colors and has very interesting behavior! If this is the 33g Menagerie mentioned, this fish would fit right into the lower and middle levels.

your water quality should be outrageously good because some tetras are very senseitive to water conditions. they usually like to have a very stable ph. they neons are probably the more sensitive type of tetra. i recomend that you start out with like a black phantom or black tetra. not neons of any kind. rio von flame tetras are also a good choice as well as cloud tetras. and never buy glass tetras because they are usually not in a lighted enviroment out in the wild so regular lighting might kill them.

The best way to get an understanding of SA fish you wish to keep is to research some SA fish you like, including thier origin. If you have an understanding of thier original surroundings, water paras, what they like to eat etc... It will lead to a happier and more successful tank.

Personally, I think biotopes are the only way to go, just my opinion. The more understanding you have, the better the tank will thrive. Research, research, research :wink:

Back
Top Bottom