south/central american cichlids in a 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking of putting some South American/Central American cichlids in a 29 gallon tank. I know I won't get more than 3 or 4 fish in one. Is this a hopeless cause or are their some (other than dwarfs) that would work? I'm thinking of firemouth, severum, salvini and the like. I probably need a bigger tank don't I.

A severum would get much too big to keep in a 29 gallon. Mine lives in a 55 gallon and I really wouldn't feel right keeping him in anything smaller. I'm not sure about salvini (and too lazy to Google it :oops: ). However, I think you may be able to get away with a pair of firemouths, although I wouldn't keep any more than 2 in there, and maybe some barbs for dithers. :D My firemouth hides a lot, so I know they would appreciate some caves. :mrgreen:

One you might consider is the rainbow cichlid, Herotilapia multispinosa. A very nice fish that can be kept in a planted tank. A really big male might get to 5", and they are quite peaceful.

Thanks BillD. I've Googled this fish and it looks super-nice. Everything I've read is very positive. Are they hard to find?

Jewels are a nice fish, I have one in a 20gal by himself. Although they are African cichlids.

Okay. I'm thinking firemouth, rainbow, and salvini cichlids for a 29. A pair of one of these species would be okay in a 29 gallon tank. I think the rainbows may actually work out with much smaller fish.

Firemouth still might be too small for a 29, especially a pair. Plus they need dither fish as they are rather shy.

Ive always wanted to give Rainbows a shot so that would be my vote

29gal isnt a bad size. I have one I use for my planted tank.

Just most fish appreciate the length as it is a larger surface area for gas exchange, not to mention more room for swimming.

The Salvini is not a good idea in a 29 gal tank. I'd do 55 gal minimum. They get to be up to 6 inches in size.

I have excessive filtration on both of my 29s so aeration shouldn't be a problem. It's the physical size that hinders me. I tend to keep smaller fish in these tanks. Angelfish are the largest I keep in my 29s.

dax29 said:
I have excessive filtration on both of my 29s so aeration shouldn't be a problem. It's the physical size that hinders me. I tend to keep smaller fish in these tanks. Angelfish are the largest I keep in my 29s.

As well they should be the biggest. Filtration helps but like the car saying goes "There is no replacement for displacement"

Have you given any consideration to apisto's? The Apistogramma agassizi is a very nice looking cichlid. I can't link a pic that I have but, if you google it, you will see some stunning pics.

Yeah. I've been looking at the Apistos, especially the cockatoo. The price tag and availabilty are hinderances.

Sounds like you and I have a similar problem. I cannot obtain exotic cichlids locally. Surprising in that I reside in NYC. You would think any fish could be obtained here. :(

They will order anything I want. As Dax mentioned, at that point, the price becomes prohibitive. Usually an additional 20 - 50% markup follows something like that. And the one I frequent requires a deposit and a minimum order. :(

I just looked on aquabid and Apistodave has pairs of Apistos starting at $12.00. I'm not sure how high it gets. The shipping is $27.00. Go to liveaquaria.com and they cost $49.99 a pair and you pay $28.99 for shipping. I'd pay it if I really wanted them bad enough. I just don't want them bad enough. I agree that they are beautiful fish, and small enough for my 29 gallon aquariums. I'm gonna hold out and find some nearby. There is a nice fish store in Athens, GA that I've seen Apistos in for $36.00 a pair. I might get them if I can dedicate one of my 29 gallon tanks to them and some dither fish. Ken Davis, the renowned discus breeder resides there and sells fish through that store. Ken is actually in my dept. at UGA, but I've not met him yet.

Back
Top Bottom