special aquarium cleaning sponge...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I read in a post on here about cleaning old tanks that you should use a sponge.made specifically for cleaning aquariums when doing maintenance, because regular ones for dishes have been treated with chemicals that harm fish. Is that true?? I.though dish sponges were just regular old sponges. Should I stop using them??

I have used dollar store sponges for everything from filter media to cleaning tanks. I would say the majority of them are safe. You do want to read the packaging - I think some sponges now have antimicrobial and antibacterial additives, but most of the cheap ones do not include this.

I would just spend the few extra bucks and by a sponge that is designed for fish tanks. I bought one and it works great and seems to be holding up good and was worth the money to know it won't harm my fish

I prefer to buy the cheap ones in quantity so I can toss them and not feel bad about it. There isn't much difference between a fish tank sponge and most sponges on the regular market, except the price.

Last edited:
Yeah, if i bought everything labled "aquarium use" I'd be broke. I didn't think there was anything wrong with sponges, I mean the package doesnt say there are additives, but I read that.and see if anyone had any experiences

Back
Top Bottom