Specific Gravity question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ichthys

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I add would salt, what would be a good specific gravity for a tank that has both mollies and platies?
Also, the tank is a 15 gal. and has 2 mollies (might add another female) and 2 platies (want to add 2-3 more). Do you think the tank would be fully stocked with the possible 8 fish or could I add another kind of fish? If so, what kind would you suggest?
Thanks!

Hey Ichthys...I see no one has responded so I will try!

As far as specific gravity...I don't know because I have never measured by tank...I simply follow the directions on the back of the box of my aquarium salt.

You are adding aquarium salt and not just table salt, correct?

I'd say you could add another fish with those fish depending on your cleaning habits.

If you clean your aquarium weekly or more its fine. It is possible if either those platies or mollies are a pair they will breed and have babies.

I currently have about 20 ~ 30 fish in my 10 gal...I clean it atleast weekly possibly two times a week and I have no death or disease.

Now...if I am to skip a week...I will have a disease. I have ONLY ever had 1 death in that 10 gal tank and it has been running I believe 7 or 8 months now.

I can't really suggest a specific fish for you...maybe someone else will chime in!

Wow, is that tank ever crowded! Don't you think the fish may stress out in there? You can't even ever go on a vacation or get sick! Tell those fish not to grow any or move around too much either. Actually nevermind, they will be stunted anyway.

In answer to the question, if you're keeping mollies & platies together, then 1tbsp/5gal is fine.

haha Puffer yes I know it is crowded...I'm giving quite a few away soon. Actually as far as them be stunted...hahaha never. They are growing like crazy.

20-30 fish...wow, that must be an active tank!! I have a 10 gallon with 26, 4 week old mollie fry and their so fun to watch :) I would be adding aquarium salt or marine salt - not sure which. Do you have mollies, PK? Do you add salt? You said 1tbsp/5 gal, Puffer. How slowly would you add the salt (I'm assuming you just don't dump it all in)?

1tbsp AQ salt/5gal is nothing. If you want it to mix better, you can add it to your filter box.

Yep add into the filter box, and use marine salt, normal auqaruim salt not marine salt.

Works better.

Dan

Will the marine salt be fine for the platies, too? If so, is there a certain specific gravity I should aim for?
Thanks!

Pufferpunk, I'm confused! You mentioned that marine salt would be good for mollies and aquarium salt for livebearers....does that mean you wouldn't recommend marine salt for a tank that would have both mollies and platies?
Thanks!

I think mollies are ok with either. I have one in SW. Platies are not the same & I don't think marine salt is the right salt for them.

Back
Top Bottom