Speeding up cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 20g was having nitrate problems so I did some massive water changes and had to get a new filter cartridge because the old one had what appeared to be mud on it and it wouldn't come off and that restarted my cycle. How can I help speed it up to prevent fish loss? The ammonia is high but everything else is 0 and I've already lost 3 danios

Keep calm and drum on

Bacteria in a bag/bottle

Marineland has one called beneficial bacteria at petsmart
Tetra safestart (avail at Walmart)
Dr tims one & only
BioSpira

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can try BB in a bottle but its better to cycle without fish. I never throw filter media away

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I typically don't either but it was so bad I couldn't get all the sludge off it. After I cleaned it as best I could I took water that came off it and tested it for nitrate, I shook the bottle for 30 seconds and it was already registered at 160

Keep calm and drum on

I had a similar situation when ich meds crashed my cycle. I used API Quick Start, but added it to my HOB filter's reservoir rather than straight into the tank. I figure that's where the bacteria need to be and hopefully it would help to avoid any negitive side-effects for my fish by filtering it and dispersing the stuff a bit more evenly. Worked great for me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom