Spending More Time with the Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
Due to March Madness, my butt is parked on the couch or my bed for extended periods of time. Go Bruins! I get to watch games and also my fish. It's kind of strange how stressed out I get at the game. Then I can divert my attention towards the tank and all is right.

Well, they say watching a fish tank lowers your blood pressure. I think, as a college student, having a fish tank is the best idea ever. If I'm studying and am just getting worn out or stressed out, I just go and take care of my fish for a little bit to clear my head. It works well. I have a chair near the fish tank that I have just for that, so I can watch them. Kind of sad, but I like them. It's liek a complete world.

That's so funny! I keep a chair right in front of my aquarium too! When my mom comes to visit, she always laughs at me. But every now and then in the middle of the day I like to take a break and just watch the fishies.

The best part is when I tell my fish, "If UCLA takes this game, it's brine shrimp all around! My treat!"

My tank is in my dining room, so in the morning we all eat breakfast together :oops:, and when I get home from work, I sit and watch them eat bloodworms while I go through my mail.

regen311 said:
I have a chair near the fish tank that I have just for that, so I can watch them. Kind of sad, but I like them. It's liek a complete world.
Nooooo, not sad at all! And I love that part--that it's a complete world. Now, how many complete worlds can I fit in my apartment??

Regen311 said:
Well, they say watching a fish tank lowers your blood pressure. I think, as a college student, having a fish tank is the best idea ever. If I'm studying and am just getting worn out or stressed out, I just go and take care of my fish for a little bit to clear my head. It works well. I have a chair near the fish tank that I have just for that, so I can watch them. Kind of sad, but I like them. It's liek a complete world.

A guy I work with has a tank just for that reason.

I find it helps with my anxiety as well.

That's so funny! I keep a chair right in front of my aquarium too!

My tank is in the living room, just around the corner from the entry way. My gf pushed an old office chair out by the tank so we'd remember to take it to the dumpster. I started sitting in it to watch my fish & now I won't let her get rid of it =P

my tank is on the back of the bar. i can have a pint and watch the fish tank... :)

Not crazy at all. When I sit on the couch my planted tank is off to the side on the left, the TV is directly ahead, and the other tanks are off to the right.

So when my girlfriend really wants to watch something I'm bored by (or something that makes me want to throw a brick through the TV) I can just start watching the discus, or the danios swirling, or the barbs playing ring-around-the-rock, or think about how it's about time for another water change.

And I absolutely love the term "complete world" for a tank. If you do it right, it is. It may still take some outside maintenance, but for those fish and plants you really are creating an isolated habitat, to the best of your ability.

Sidi said:
And I absolutely love the term "complete world" for a tank. If you do it right, it is. It may still take some outside maintenance, but for those fish and plants you really are creating an isolated habitat, to the best of your ability.

Exactly! I love it because it's like, a huge challenge in a way. Now that I have it going, it isn't too hard, but looking back over all I've learned and all I'm constantly thinking about when taking care of my fish, it's insane how much information I've stored away in the past few years. And I feel kind of proud in a way when I look at my tank, it's doing well, not overstocked, clear and clean, plants are thriving fish look happy... it's a beautiful thing, and fun and challenging at the same time. How many other pets do you consider a "hobby" really? It really is a constant challeng in a way to make sure everything is correct, and getting to do a little bit of chemistry (water parameters) is fun as well :)

Regen311 said:
I think, as a college student, having a fish tank is the best idea ever. If I'm studying and am just getting worn out or stressed out, I just go and take care of my fish for a little bit to clear my head.
True enough, but sometimes I find my tanks are more of a distraction than a stress reliever. Sometimes it feels like 'maybe right now isn't the time to be rearranging all the tanks... I have a friggin' exam tomorrow!'

shayfish said:
True enough, but sometimes I find my tanks are more of a distraction than a stress reliever. Sometimes it feels like 'maybe right now isn't the time to be rearranging all the tanks... I have a friggin' exam tomorrow!'

Also, my fish would have been dead in college if I had them. I just imagine too many drunken accidents.

theotheragentm said:
shayfish said:

Also, my fish would have been dead in college if I had them. I just imagine too many drunken accidents.

:) Fortunately, the place where the tank is isn't in the way of anything. If I'm THAT drunk, I usually go right ot my room, and the tank isn't between the door and the room. If people are over, the tank is kind of blocked off, you have to be TRYING to get to it to get to it, and if I have people over drinking, I usually try to stay more sober than otherwise because I don't want ANY of my stuff getting destroyed, especially not the fish tank.

If I mess around with the tank, rearranging things and such, it's usually not for TOO long that it would interfere with study time. And it's my last quarter before I graduate, so things aren't as... well I've alerady applied to graduate school so it's not so much pressure to get outstanding grades anymore. not that I'm not trying, it's just a ton less stress, so I have a little more time.

When I set up my living room I put the tank up directly across from the couch and the tv right off of the left end of the couch just so more people center their attention on it.

In the family room, I have the one tank to the left of the TV so siting on the couch I can watch tv and the tanks. The tank in the living/dining room is positioned so I can sit on one of the couches watch the tank and the tv (its a large 65inch so the picture is still large enough). Also I can share the tank (in the living/dining room) with the neighbors by opening up the curtains and they can see my Midas and Arowana swiming back inforth. I like to eat ice cream while watch the tank in the living/dining room, and our Rottie ends up napping at my feet.

What? There are people who don't have a chair in front of their fish tank?

Back
Top Bottom