spilled coffee in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mirabai68

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey... I need help . I spilled coffee with cream and sugar into my freshwater tank. I took half of the cloudy water out, added new treated water, and it looks horrible... what to do???

Keep doing water changes (preferably as close to 90% as possible) until clear.

Make sure your lid is on tight too, you never know what caffiene will do to your fish, they could become hyperactive... 8O

black hills tj said:
sorry i'm not of any help but i couldn't help but chuckle at 2cvbloke's comment.

Home-grown flying fish... :mrgreen:

I'm sure the fish'll be ok though, maybe a little zippy for a while and high on the sugar, let's just hope they don't develop a caffiene craving like most business-type people have these days... :mrgreen:

Large water changes as suggested and I would add some active carbon to my filter as well if it were me.

Welcome to AA!

you can change the water down to the gravel. I have done it many, many times in my tanks. The fish will be stressed for the few seconds it takes to get water back in. I'd suggest changing out 95% a few times. There are days in my planted tank where i change the water repeatedly 3-4 flushes at 80% to clear debris from dusty old flourite after a rescape. I assure you I have never lost a fish doing this. Likewise, to beat out ich in a angelfish tank with breeding parents, i drained down to flopping levels every day for ten days for water changes. Again, didn't lose a single fish (well, lost some fry, but that was from sucking them up, not from suffocation or stress. The loss was collateral to me, since I knew the parents would breed again, and was more concerned about saving them and the other adult fish in the tank, including my prized BGK and tetras, from ich).

Secondly, unless there was creamer in the coffee (even still, depending on the amount of coffee spilled, and the volume of the tank) I wouldn't panic. Coffee is probably not that bad for your fish, unless they are something very needing of very hard water (african rift lakers). Many fish, in fact, would likely be inspired to breed if we added a small amount of used coffee grounds to the water in a cheesecloth....asian countries are famous for using almond and tea leaves to create "blackwater" for bettas to breed in. South American countries.......

Tea leaves, or coffee leaves.

Softens and acidifies the water, and adds tannins.

Even the creamer (unless artificial, never know what is in that stuff....how can a cup of liquid creamer not go bad sitting out in the open on a shelf for a year???) would likely not kill them unless we are talking about a LOT of creamer or a very small tank. It is just protein and fat and lactose when you break it down...not pleasant, but likely not deadly either. Fish can eat pretty amazing stuff. But this is something I certainly would be a bit more concerned about for the bacteria/fungus factor more than anything. If you had cream, do BIG water changes (the flopping kind) to get it out. That is what I would do anyway....but to each his own. I am pretty confident (i love my python....I can drain to floppage, and start the fill as soon as the floppage starts), and like I said, once I got over the initial "OHGODANYTHINGIDOMORETHAN10%WILLKILLTHEM" phase, I got pretty bold, and ironically, they like the bigguns (I consider a big H2O chage more than 70%. I rarely ever change less than 50%).

Finally, i agree with zags that activated carbon in the filter is probably good, just for the caffiene soakage, and definitely for dairy soakage.

Good Luck!

Lemme guess, you had the top open to feed them in the morning and set the coffee mug on the corner of the top and accidentially bumped it in right? :) Thought so.

Anyways, there really is no cause for concern as long as your tank is larger than a 10 gallon. Even strong coffee won't have much effect in a moderately-sized tank. The sugar will be a wonderful bacterial booster (easy carbon source). The diary I'd be a little more worried about because of the fungus possibility as already mentioned (milk is commonly used on lawn/crops to help in the growth of beneficial fungi to out-compete the baddies), but with your already done 50% PWC I think your tank should be fine.

I'd probably do another 50% just for kicks but its probably not necessary.

Now next time, keep the coffee mug off the top! I make sure to put my beverage (normally beer which the fish would REALLY LOVE) on the stand NEXT to my tank after a near mishap like this!

HTH ;)

7Enigma said:
I make sure to put my beverage (normally beer which the fish would REALLY LOVE) on the stand NEXT to my tank after a near mishap like this!

HTH ;)

What if you spill tank water into your beer? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I hope all is going well with the tank and that the fish have calmed down... :)

Back
Top Bottom