spiny eels...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was trying to post a pic but i keep getting this The Attachment/Image must be less than 1024 pixels wide and 1024 pixels high

what does that mean>?

I dont know if its been identified..or if you dont even need it identifiedlol but it looks like a peacock eel.
My cousin had about 3 of these and once they get hooked on a certain food its really hard to get them off it.

this is the eel i had a question about.. eel=x2

Attachments

• img_0574.jpg
    img_0574.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 46
oh sorry...i thought the guy (oscarbreeder) with the pic is what he wanted identified lol. from the recent pic i dont know what kind. i had the same one awhile back but it disappered.....prollyjumped out of my tank and might dog took a snap at it

yah i thought the same thing and then bam there it is.. thats why i have 2 now.. so any ideas as to what it is.. im a little slow when it comes to id ing similar looking eels like this one..

I'm not sure myself. Kind of looks like a starry night spiny eel, like the 2nd pic on one of the previous posts. The first pic didn't look quite like it, but the second one pretty close.

I have 2 fire eels myself, and they eat like pigs. One thing you might notice is that if they are in a tank that's cycling, they won't eat. At least not very much. Mine didn't. But now that my tank has cycled, they are pigs. I was feeding then 2 cubes of blood worms every other night, but now, they come out begging for them every night at about 9:30, just shortly after the timer turns the lights off. I go up to the tank, and they are dancing around by the front of the tank, begging me for food. They also go after the red wigglers I put in the tank that have burrowed in the gravel.

I have a medium-sized artificial rock with a cave going through it, and of course it's hollow in the middle. That's where my eels made their home during the daytime. Occasionally they will burrow in the gravel, but mostly will go under the gravel and into the hollow rock formation and turn around and stick their heads out the hole they made going in.

I've had them for about 5 months I think, maybe 6, can't exactly remember for sure, they were about 4 inches when I got them. Now they are about 9 inches each. I didn't get them both at first. I had 1, and while my tank was cycling, he didn't look too good. Wasn't eating at all, and had a film over his eyes. During that time I decided to get the 2nd one, as they had gotten another one at the LFS. he seemed to do pretty good, and thought the first one was a loss. But shortly after, I started introducing a little aquarium salt, as that's when I had learned about some of the benefits while cycling. So now I have 2 very healthy, active fire eels, in a cycled tank. Will stay in this tank til I completely cycle the new tank which I'm getting in about 2 weeks. The 55G will also just be their new temporary home til I get my 90G or bigger in the near future.

I have a question for Toirtis. I like your idea of 12 eels, 6 different ones, 2 of each. What I was wondering is if you knew if you had a male and female of each, or did you just get 2 of each not knowing the sexes? And if you got one of each, male and female, where does one go to get them as a known pair? If I decide to get more tanks, which I really enjoy the eels, will probably do something similar. I just got my 2 fire eels for now, and I know later down the road they will be a handfull, as they get big. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Spiny eels are commonly called "tire-track eels"
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1026
lg_89853.jpg

other eels are
Fire Eels
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1019
p_89851.jpg

Zig-Zag Eels
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1025
p_89852.jpg

i guess mine look like the tire-track.. mine look a bit more yellowish and darker lines..

They will keep growing, both of them. When they talk about maz sizes, it's just an estimate. Some get bigger, and some smaller. It's not exact. If the pattern is more like stripes, it's a zig-zag. But if not, it's a tire-track.

Back
Top Bottom