Spirited Killies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wow. So, my first experience with Killifish (Golden Wonders, two of them) has me thinking that they might be my new favorites.

Inside of ten minutes of entering my tank, they have already viciously tore a piece of my Anacharis off and consumed it in short order. From where I'm sitting, I can already see that they've broken off another piece of of it and are working on trying to swallow the whole thing at once, which doesn't prove to be going well for either of them.

I thought they'd be hiding in my Watersprite for a while. Sure proved me wrong.

Killis are cool little things. I have a pair of Australe Orange Killifish in my 10 gallon and they are awesome. They haven't eaten any plants as I can tell, but I have seen them pick at the shrimp (Didn't eat or kill them though).

Hmm... if they didn't eat your shrimp, I'm guessing they probably won't eat snails. Not that I expected them to, but I just saw a few tiny hitchikers come in on my new plants today and thought it would be nice.

Wow. So, my first experience with Killifish (Golden Wonders, two of them) has me thinking that they might be my new favorites.

Inside of ten minutes of entering my tank, they have already viciously tore a piece of my Anacharis off and consumed it in short order. From where I'm sitting, I can already see that they've broken off another piece of of it and are working on trying to swallow the whole thing at once, which doesn't prove to be going well for either of them.

I thought they'd be hiding in my Watersprite for a while. Sure proved me wrong.

Haha, golden wonders are fun. They have voracious appetites, grow fairly large for a killi, and will eat any fish they can fit in their mouths. Oh, and they aren't shy, as you can see! LOL. I did not know they ate plants though!

I have the gardneri killifish and they are total pigs. I just noticed that the female, still not even full grown, gobbles up whole sinking wafers. Scared the crap out of me..you can see the whole wafer in her stomach...it's as wide as she is! Geez I'm breaking them up now.

It looks like while I was at work they realized that the plants weren't really there to be eaten. They sure do hate flakes, though. They spit it out every time.

I had a bag of Hikari micro-wafers on standby though and they seem to love those. One of the two is shorter and fatter than the other, and that one is a real pig. The longer, slimmer one seems a bit more chill and doesn't go into a frenzy any time food hits the water.

I think I might have gotten a male and female by luck of the draw. We'll see!

Yeah, I found that out also. Small frozen food is the best thing to feed them until they get used to you as the source of food. You could try Cyclop-eeze (frozen!), they love it.

I feed my Female killifish Hikari Tropical micro pellets and Freeze dried blood worms (Male doesnt really eat the pellets. Maybe every now and then, but mainly he goes after the shrimp pellets).

Back
Top Bottom