Split doral fin on red tail sharks and rainbow sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What causes the dorsal fins to split and is there anything you can do to fix it?

Other fish nipping fins, water quality, something sharp... Just keep your water good with water changes and should heal fairly quickly.

Other fish nipping fins, water quality, something sharp... Just keep your water good with water changes and should heal fairly quickly.
Actually, it depends of the severity of the nipping to judge if it will successfully grow back.

Thank you guys. I've got a rosy barb a couple catfish a banded leporinus and other red tail and rainbow sharks. I don't know if its the barb or the sharks just fighting each other. I am currently treating my water for some type of fungus since a fish of mine swelled up but looked like it had a hole in it before swelling started.

Thank you guys. I've got a rosy barb a couple catfish a banded leporinus and other red tail and rainbow sharks. I don't know if its the barb or the sharks just fighting each other. I am currently treating my water for some type of fungus since a fish of mine swelled up but looked like it had a hole in it before swelling started.
Who's the biggest and how big are the shark.

The Leporinus is the biggest of all my fish. I've got one big rainbow but I don't think that one is the one causing the problem. One of my red tails that is the one doing the fighting or chasing. I am willing to bet that simply because it doesn't have the same shaped face as normal red tails that we all see. I've never seen a red tail with a bottle nose. It's really weird.

When I get the chance I'll do that for you. On one of my rainbows it's pretty drastic. There's a big separation on that fishes dorsal fin.

I think that the one you said had a bottle nose is a red tail Botia that was mistaken for a shark

I've never heard of those before. It looks the same as the red tail but with more of an attitude. I like it but nothing can go anywhere near the side of the tank that it resides at. Only my 2 catfish and Leporinus can roam that side of the tank without being chased. I'll have to look up the info on those fish to see if that's what I've got. Thanks man. When I get my tank clear from this fungus medication I'll post a picture of my rainbow with its split fin.

If I can get all of them in a group at one time I'll get a picture. The Botia isn't right for the fish that I described as I just saw a picture of one. This is as dark as a redtail shark. The Botia is more pale in color. Now I do have a big rainbow that's rather pale in body color with red fins on it. The fins on that one aren't as bright of a red. They are more like having an albino rainbow. It's not very aggressive though.

Attachments

• image-3216031014.jpg
    image-3216031014.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 140
Exude the green color of my tank but I just got the 2 of my fish I'm telling you about in my tank in the same picture and having done that really has made me super happy man. It's hard to get the both of those fish in the same shot and in profile form too!!!!!!! The picture will be added now

Attachments

• image-2231254018.jpg
    image-2231254018.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1596444346.jpg
    image-1596444346.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 145
I've added Ana album to my profile if you want to see some of the fish that I have in my tank. I couldn't get all of my sharks in there but I did manage to get a few of the different kind of sharks that I do have and some of the other fish wanted to join in the photo shoot. Lol. Btw what's your dream tank?

Back
Top Bottom