sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

son2fu

Aquarium Advice Regular
would a sponge filter make a lot of noise running on an air pump?

Sponge filter... You mean just a sponge on the intake? That wouldn't affect the noise level at all.

If you mean a pre-filter w/ carbon, media, the whole shebang, I can't help you. hmm..I should look into those though...

yes, that kind, i heard that you could run them on power heads, would that make them quieter? but is it true that they could clog up faster?

Not sure about that...the one I have is from an old fry tank I had 20yrs ago...used it recently to keep some seed media alive while I was setting up my 55

what do you need a sponge filter for? Really all you need to do is wrap a filter media sponge around and airstone and you have a sponge filter. It will be as loud or quiet as your air pump. Believe it or not, my penn plax air pump is pretty much silent.

Really all you need to do is wrap a filter media sponge around and airstone and you have a sponge filter

The air runs thru a tube, and creates a gentle syphon....like on an UGF

If you want a power head sponge filter, you would be better with an ATI Hydrosponge. Their lift tubes are large enough in diameter to handle a powerhead. If a sponge filter clogs up faster, means it is working better. However, it would them need to be cleaned more often. http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/SpongeFilter.html You can't really make a sponge filter by wrapping foam around an air stone. There needs to be a lift tube for water movement.

I beg to differ with soem of the ideas stated here. Ive used a spong filter for years on my tank. I love it. It's very quiet. I also use whisper air pumps and have found them to be better than the rena pumps.

I agree ...The sponge filter is an exccelent filter, and quiet...

Whisper my butt...LOL

This comes from hooking up my brand new whisper 60 last night...It, although quite, is louder than my DIY wet/dry

yea, i was looking into them, they sound amazing! they are soo simple and are said to offer very good filtration.

Back
Top Bottom