Sponge Filter and Powerhead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Model is the model name of the pump. The liters per minute measure is the metric equivalent for the cubic feet per hour. I just figured I would post both since some members use metric and some use standard measurements. The kPa is a pressure measurement, but they only gave it to me without resistance. The output at 24 inches is the volume of air output with the head pressure of a tank that is 24 inches deep and the air line at the bottom of the tank.

As I said previously, the deeper you go underwater, the more pressure you have to overcome. Take the Fusion 700 for instance, because it was the one that DiscusDennis mentioned. That specific air pump has an output of 11.87 cubic feet per hour rating. However, with the exit of the air lines under 24 inches of water, it can only manage to push out 6.36 cubic feet per hour fighting the head pressure of the water at that depth.

So, even though it is advertised/marketed at 11.87 cfh, that actual output at 24 inches is roughly half of its advertised specification. Knowing what the advertised rating is for a pump is actually pretty useless information. What you really need to know is what the output is WITH resistance. Because there is always resistance once you put it into use. If the advertised rating was 11.87 cfh without resistance, and only 2cfh at 24 inches, it would be a poor choice to use. However, it all depends on what you are trying to run with it and what consumption those objects require as well.

Back
Top Bottom