Sponge Filter and Powerhead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking about a spongefilter for a 56 gallon column. I am thinking for filtration and oxygenation. Will this work for oxygenation? Do I need a powerhead or an air pump? What size? Also what do yall think about uv Sterilizers?
Thanks and God bless!

Godfan,
I use two Hydro-Sponge V's and two Fusion 700 air pumps for my 55 gallon tank. Creates heavenly water!
As for UV Sterilizers......The manufacturers decriptions sound great but with the above mentioned filters and lots of water changes one will achieve HIGH quality water.

And God is alway watching!

Dennis

Godfan,
I use two Hydro-Sponge V's and two Fusion 700 air pumps for my 55 gallon tank. Creates heavenly water!
As for UV Sterilizers......The manufacturers decriptions sound great but with the above mentioned filters and lots of water changes one will achieve HIGH quality water.

And God is alway watching!

Dennis
Ok thanks! What shape is you 55? I am worried about oxygenation since the tank is so tall...

My 55 is a standard....I believe it's 1.5 feet deep.
Tetra Whisper Deepwater Pumps are designed for deep tanks so possibly look into one of those.

Hope that helps,
Dennis

My 55 is a standard....I believe it's 1.5 feet deep.
Tetra Whisper Deepwater Pumps are designed for deep tanks so possibly look into one of those.

Hope that helps,
Dennis
Thanks! I checked Amazon and didnt see the pump. Maybe I saw but didnt know what it was?

When you are looking for an air pump, you will want to research what the head pressure is rated at. This is usually given in inches. The deeper whatever you are trying to push air through is in your tank, the more the pump has to overcome the pressure of the water at that depth.

For instance, an air pump at 6 inches of depth has to overcome less water pressure than an air pump at 18 inches of depth. So, the exact same air pump can put out different volumes of air depending on how deep you are running the item you are driving with it.

Obviously, at a certain point, the pump will meet the pressure where it can't supply a positive flow, which is called the maximum head pressure.

All this to say, just make sure you get a pump that can pressurize air volume at whatever the depth of your column tank, or however deep you are going to mount the sponge filter.

Hope that makes sense...

When you are looking for an air pump, you will want to research what the head pressure is rated at. This is usually given in inches. The deeper whatever you are trying to push air through is in your tank, the more the pump has to overcome the pressure of the water at that depth.

For instance, an air pump at 6 inches of depth has to overcome less water pressure than an air pump at 18 inches of depth. So, the exact same air pump can put out different volumes of air depending on how deep you are running the item you are driving with it.

Obviously, at a certain point, the pump will meet the pressure where it can't supply a positive flow, which is called the maximum head pressure.

All this to say, just make sure you get a pump that can pressurize air volume at whatever the depth of your column tank, or however deep you are going to mount the sponge filter.

Hope that makes sense...
Thanks I didnt know about that! I dont think Amazon list that though and I will most likely buy from them... Is there another way to know?

The manufacturer would have that information. Sometimes, the better online stores will list it under specifications or a similar title. I did a quick Google on the Fusion 700 and really didn't come up with anything. It says it is good for 100+ gallon tanks and can drive x amount of items, but that is all very generic opinion at best. Knowing the head pressure and volume output at that pressure is what is actual beneficial information.

I just Googled again. I found that JW Pet makes the Fusion line of air pumps. I sent an email and asked if they could provide me with a chart of volume output compared to head pressure so I could purchase the correct pump for a column tank.

I'll let you know what they say when I hear back.

I just Googled again. I found that JW Pet makes the Fusion line of air pumps. I sent an email and asked if they could provide me with a chart of volume output compared to head pressure so I could purchase the correct pump for a column tank.

Oh you didnt have to go to all that trouble! Thanks though! :)

I just hit "contact us" and typed in a sentence. Pretty quick at 100wpm. No problem at all.
Well thanks! I was thinking about using a powerhead to power a spray bar but Im not sure yet. Just afraid of a lack of circulation... But I wouldnt want the powerhead without something because it might distract the fish.....

Why would you want a sponge filter when you can get a HOB or canister?

GodFan said:
HOB cant afford a canister lol A fluval c4 to be exact.

Good choice. :) that is one of my options for when I get my 36 gallon bow front tank. I especially like the wet/dry feature.

Good choice. :) that is one of my options for when I get my 36 gallon bow front tank. I especially like the wet/dry feature.
Me too! I think the multiple customizable compartements sealed the deal for me.

I just got some information from Barbara at JW Pet:
2557181780105699732S600x600Q85.jpg

I did the conversion from liters per minute to cubic feet per hour, so if it is wrong, blame me... not them.

I just got some information from Barbara at JW Pet:
2557181780105699732S600x600Q85.jpg

I did the conversion from liters per minute to cubic feet per hour, so if it is wrong, blame me... not them.
So what does that mean?

Back
Top Bottom