Sponge filter for Molly tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is a sponge filter good enough for a Molly tank (sail-fin mollies and ballon Molly ) or should I get a better filter like a hang on the back filter? (Is that what HOB is?) what I mean is do mollies do better with the flow or the sponge agitating the top?? Thank you!

It's a 20 gal with 4 sailfin an two balloon Molly.

Hob would probably be the best bet, mollies have a pretty big bio-load, than again my Lfs has mainly sponge filters on their 40 gal displays, but there's 2-3 in each.

Hi a sponge filter would be good enough but it would need cleaning at least weekly {in fish tank water} But as already said a HOB {I think that is a Hang On Back filter?}would be better,mollies like plenty of water movement so that is not a problem.:)

Awesome thank you so much. I switched filters and it's way better. Had it on the Molly tank before but moved it and now it's back. Waters finally clearing up and I don't have to clean food off bottom that the sponge wouldn't take! :) they already seem happier and so do my crayfish. They're eating off the sponge filter now :). I already do weekly water changes as they're messy and huge bio loads. So all is well thanks a bunch!!! :happy dance:

Hi your welcome,mollies are very nice fish,just keep in hard water {High P/H 8}and feed plenty of greens:) vegetarian flake,shelled peas etc:)

Hi your welcome,mollies are very nice fish,just keep in hard water {High P/H 8}and feed plenty of greens:) vegetarian flake,shelled peas etc:)

Yes I love them! I don't have hard water mines soft... How could I make it harder. I also keep them in freshwater no salt added. They love the flakes I have and the blood worm treat once in a while :) peas make there mess so much worse but I give it to them anyway haha. Thank you so much.

My ph is at 6.8 I think. That's how I've always kept them. But if I could change it they might act better and breed more? I'm trying to breed and my females don't cooperate with me :(

Don't touch your ph. Keeping it steady is way more important. Fish will acclimate to the ph. Discus are Found in like 5.5-6.5 so people say you need to keep them in it. But they can breed at 7.8... Steady parameters are way may important!

Don't touch your ph. Keeping it steady is way more important. Fish will acclimate to the ph. Discus are Found in like 5.5-6.5 so people say you need to keep them in it. But they can breed at 7.8... Steady parameters are way may important!

So changing it won't help them to breed?? Is there anything else I could try to get them going if you know what I mean?

Hi yes an interesting problem as changing the water parameters means water changes are slower but your fish could possibly be happier? I tend not to change it but we live in a hard water area,so can we swap places:lol:
There are several ways to increase the P/H, you can add some material that will increase the P/H, Coral sand,coral gravel and many marine type substrates will help.
You could sprinkle a little over your substrate,not too much just a little give it a couple of days then take a P/H reading then simply add more,but slowly as it will be hard to remove if you over do it! You could add some marine grade salt to your water making it very slightly brackish,and this will raise the P/H plus give them ideal conditions BUT! This depends on if you have other fish in there as they may not appreciate the salt! I would simply add a desert spoon to about five litres,simply stir in till dissolved and add slowly to the tank,do this at alternate water changes and then the change will not be too dramatic! Then they will/should breed,I take it you got both males and females? Its more usual to be wanting to stop the little rascals breeding:eek:

Yes I have male and four females and just love watchdog life appear with them it's amazing :) I've noticed when I change water and it's slightly different temperature the male starts chasing the females so I'm hoping I'll finally get a batch of fry!

I've had Dalmatians as well and it was amazing to watch life come together through them. Yes it can get annoying but I have other tanks and lfs and friends willin to take some fry if I end up with to many.

I do have one fish that can't handle salt so I'll have to avoid that. They seem happy. I hope they will love their life span. If I notice that's not happening then I'll make the change for the water :) maybe then it'll be better :)

Back
Top Bottom