Sponge filter: increased algae and plants drooping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NadiaG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gal freshwater tank with a few plants in there and tetras. I run an aqueon hob filter with added ceramic media in an emptied from carbon filter cartridge.

Everything was doing well and then I though to experiment and add an additional filtration unit. So I went with DIY modified sponge filter powered by the bubbler. I also made it so the water and air passes thru ceramic media to improve the biological

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409519626.367522.jpg

It's been about 2 weeks now and I notice a significant increase in algae and my ludwigia repens started to droop and drop leaves and turning brown.

My question is: what's going wrong and why?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gassing off water ever co2 is present in the water??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So is it a bad thing, should I stop using that sponge filter?

I add Flourish Excel in small dose every other day

So is it a bad thing, should I stop using that sponge filter?

I add Flourish Excel in small dose every other day

That's not going to do much, excel should be dosed daily, .5ml/gal. Before lights on.. how long have the plants been growing prior to air bubbler addition?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think an additional filter is the culprit. Something else you did or didn't do? Lighting time, less ferts, not keeping up water changes? Things can change very quick in a 10 gallon.

Nope, nothing else was changed: lights are on timer, PWC are religiously performed on Sundays, same with ferts.

Back
Top Bottom