Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sponge filter questions

Hello, I am setting up a new 55gallon tank and want to use a sponge filter on it as I hear they are quieter. I have never used one. My questions are, do I need anything other than the filter and the air pump? Such as extra air hose, or any fittings/valves? Also, what size air pump do I need? Do I need one to match the size of my tank? Or is that not necessary? Anything else I need to know? This is for a community tank with tetras and guppies.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sponge Filtration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsquad View Post
Hello, I am setting up a new 55gallon tank and want to use a sponge filter on it as I hear they are quieter. I have never used one. My questions are, do I need anything other than the filter and the air pump? Such as extra air hose, or any fittings/valves? Also, what size air pump do I need? Do I need one to match the size of my tank? Or is that not necessary? Anything else I need to know? This is for a community tank with tetras and guppies.
Hello T...

I would set up a dual sponge filter on opposite ends of the tank. Active Aqua has a good air pump. Get some airline tubing to connect everything and you're good do go.

B

Old 02-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your pump will below the tank - install and airline check valve.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #4

Sounds good. I went with the 60-100 whisper air pump for good measure. Only ordered 1 sponge filter but I did order a t splitter, check valve, and extra air hose as I was thinking about adding an air stone, but I can do another filter too. I’m not sure what I’m putting in the tank other than my 6 white skirts and 4 guppies. Thinking either a bunch more guppies, or a big group of another smaller fish.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would definitely add a second filter vs. an air stone
Old 02-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

Ok, I will order a 2nd sponge filter. I have never used them before, so I wasn’t really sure how many I would need.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

If interested, I sell them plus many other hobby related items including fish and plants . Send me a Pm
Old 02-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunamanphd View Post
If interested, I sell them plus many other hobby related items including fish and plants . Send me a Pm

Just finished ordering it from the Aquarium Co-op. That is where I got the first one and I wanted them to match. Sorry :/
Old 02-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #9

I wouldn’t mind taking a look at your shop though. Ya never know what ya might find lol.

Tags
filter, question, questions, sponge, sponge filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com