Sponge filter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tsquad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am setting up a new 55gallon tank and want to use a sponge filter on it as I hear they are quieter. I have never used one. My questions are, do I need anything other than the filter and the air pump? Such as extra air hose, or any fittings/valves? Also, what size air pump do I need? Do I need one to match the size of my tank? Or is that not necessary? Anything else I need to know? This is for a community tank with tetras and guppies.

Sponge Filtration

Hello, I am setting up a new 55gallon tank and want to use a sponge filter on it as I hear they are quieter. I have never used one. My questions are, do I need anything other than the filter and the air pump? Such as extra air hose, or any fittings/valves? Also, what size air pump do I need? Do I need one to match the size of my tank? Or is that not necessary? Anything else I need to know? This is for a community tank with tetras and guppies.

Hello T...

I would set up a dual sponge filter on opposite ends of the tank. Active Aqua has a good air pump. Get some airline tubing to connect everything and you're good do go.

B

Sounds good. I went with the 60-100 whisper air pump for good measure. Only ordered 1 sponge filter but I did order a t splitter, check valve, and extra air hose as I was thinking about adding an air stone, but I can do another filter too. I’m not sure what I’m putting in the tank other than my 6 white skirts and 4 guppies. Thinking either a bunch more guppies, or a big group of another smaller fish.

Ok, I will order a 2nd sponge filter. I have never used them before, so I wasn’t really sure how many I would need.

If interested, I sell them plus many other hobby related items including fish and plants . Send me a Pm

If interested, I sell them plus many other hobby related items including fish and plants . Send me a Pm

Just finished ordering it from the Aquarium Co-op. That is where I got the first one and I wanted them to match. Sorry :/

I wouldn’t mind taking a look at your shop though. Ya never know what ya might find lol.

Ok, I will order a 2nd sponge filter. I have never used them before, so I wasn’t really sure how many I would need.

One sponge would probably be enough as far as biological filtration goes (unless you have messy fish like plecostomuses), but I would use two, one in each corner, to give better flow through the tank. Also, make sure you have a check valve on each to prevent backflow in case the power goes out.

One sponge would probably be enough as far as biological filtration goes (unless you have messy fish like plecostomuses), but I would use two, one in each corner, to give better flow through the tank. Also, make sure you have a check valve on each to prevent backflow in case the power goes out.

Yea I have one in there now, still waiting on the 2nd. The flow on the opposite side of the tank is VERY low. I do have a check valve on the one. Will have to order a 2nd one.

Back
Top Bottom