Sponge Filter vs Canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiQuiD

Aquarium Advice Activist
So Im sure this is a long debated topic everywhere, but I wanted some opinions on the subject. I currently have 1 Aquaclear 110 on my 55, and was looking for an additional filter. I have always had sponge filters, but was considering a Fluval canister and losing the sponge. I have the room for it, so I just wanted to know the benefits of the Canister. And to be honest, the HOB filter is kind of in the way where I have my tank, so thought this would be a good change.

I was also curious if there was any benefit to the plants in changing to canister.

Thanks guys!

:thanks:

Canister will give you more customization. Also most likely higher gph, flow rate, more mechanical, biological, and chemical (if used) filtration.

Do you attach your sponge filter to a powerhead? I have mine attached to an air pump and I couldn't even fathom that being my main source of filtration. I'm running two canisters, an FX5 and an API Filstar, in addition to the sponge filter. It's mainly there just in case I need to set up another tank.

Go with the canister. I've been really happy with the Filstar and FX5, I'd recommend either.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Canister will give you more customization. Also most likely higher gph, flow rate, more mechanical, biological, and chemical (if used) filtration.

Do you attach your sponge filter to a powerhead? I have mine attached to an air pump and I couldn't even fathom that being my main source of filtration. I'm running two canisters, an FX5 and an API Filstar, in addition to the sponge filter. It's mainly there just in case I need to set up another tank.

Go with the canister. I've been really happy with the Filstar and FX5, I'd recommend either.

My Aquaclear 110 is my only filter. I had a AC 70 in there as well, but gave it to my sis with a 20 gallon to get her started on the hobby.

How big is your tank that you run 2 canisters? Would I be good with just the Fluval 406 my 55? That's more in my price range.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My Aquaclear 110 is my only filter. I had a AC 70 in there as well, but gave it to my sis with a 20 gallon to get her started on the hobby.

How big is your tank that you run 2 canisters? Would I be good with just the Fluval 406 my 55? That's more in my price range.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you mean hang on back filters instead of sponge filter?

Either way, I'd go with canister over hang on back. And yeah, a 406 should do well on a 55.

My tank is 150, I'm only running the Filstar though because I needed something to hook my UV sterilizer to.

I run the Fluval 306 on my 65ga and the tank is crystal clear. So a 406 would easily do your 55.

I have both an HOB and a Canister on my 75g

I use a Cascade 1000 (rated 100 gallon tank) and a MarineLand Penguin 350B (rated 70 gallons). I've never had a problem out of either.

Like Nigel said, canisters are great for customization, but they can be a little bit of a hassle to disassemble and clean compared to HOB.

If price is an issue ( just look at Fluval canisters...) then Amazon sells Cascade like mine and SunSun and they are pretty good on prices while maintaining a pretty high rating.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Do you mean hang on back filters instead of sponge filter?

Either way, I'd go with canister over hang on back. And yeah, a 406 should do well on a 55.

My tank is 150, I'm only running the Filstar though because I needed something to hook my UV sterilizer to.

Im an idiot. Meant HOB not sponge. Thats what I get for doing a thread late at night and after a couple...

I have both an HOB and a Canister on my 75g

I use a Cascade 1000 (rated 100 gallon tank) and a MarineLand Penguin 350B (rated 70 gallons). I've never had a problem out of either.

Like Nigel said, canisters are great for customization, but they can be a little bit of a hassle to disassemble and clean compared to HOB.

If price is an issue ( just look at Fluval canisters...) then Amazon sells Cascade like mine and SunSun and they are pretty good on prices while maintaining a pretty high rating.
Caleb

Thanks for the rec's. I have friends and others telling me to stay away from Fluval, and go Cascade. Anyone know a good link to compare lots of canister brands?

Im an idiot. Meant HOB not sponge. Thats what I get for doing a thread late at night and after a couple...

Thanks for the rec's. I have friends and others telling me to stay away from Fluval, and go Cascade. Anyone know a good link to compare lots of canister brands?

I don't think Fluval is a bad brand, I think they are too expensive when there is other alternatives that can be just as good or better for half the cost.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Expense is half the battle when it comes to anything in this hobby. Personal experience, I've had a Fluval 205 running for almost 6 years. A 406 for 2 years. Nothing beats it.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Expense is half the battle when it comes to anything in this hobby. Personal experience, I've had a Fluval 205 running for almost 6 years. A 406 for 2 years. Nothing beats it.

+1. Bargain canisters run strong for maybe a year, but majority of people using them report that they lose a lot of the flow rate or gaskets break, seals leak usually after the 1-1.5 year mark. Just research different filters and look at reviews. Eheim and Fluval are more expensive but they are the most commonly recommended for a reason. It's not uncommon to see someone mentioning that their Fluval or Eheim is 10+ years old and still going strong.

I don't think Fluval is a bad brand, I think they are too expensive when there is other alternatives that can be just as good or better for half the cost.

Caleb

Thanks alot guys for your input. Money is never the issue for me, if I am getting a device that is worth the cost. I dont want to "pay for the name", I want to pay for the quality. Here is what I am considering.

THIS
Amazon.com : Penn Plax Cascade 1500 Canister Filter Pro Package : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies

Which has more to it in supply, and is a little cheaper.

OR THIS

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A217-4...694266&sr=8-1&keywords=fluval+canister+filter

Will purchase today. :D

Sadly money was a little tight for me. So the Fluval was just way out of my range. I have no doubts it will work great for years. I love the cascade I have though.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

if you want a cheap canister that surprisingly works well try the odyssea cfs 500. you can get them on ebay for like 50 bucks. I have one on one of my tanks and have had 0 issues with it in 3 years. Puts out a lot of flow so you need a larger tank.

Hang on backs work just as well as canisters, but are easier to clean and mantain. I'm actually in the process of switching out all of my canisters, not worth the hassle.

If you want the best that money can buy get a fluval FX6 or eheim canister, can't go wrong with either

if you want a cheap canister that surprisingly works well try the odyssea cfs 500. you can get them on ebay for like 50 bucks. I have one on one of my tanks and have had 0 issues with it in 3 years. Puts out a lot of flow so you need a larger tank.

Hang on backs work just as well as canisters, but are easier to clean and mantain. I'm actually in the process of switching out all of my canisters, not worth the hassle.

If you want the best that money can buy get a fluval FX6 or eheim canister, can't go wrong with either

I second the Odyssea for a budget canister. I used 2 stacked Hydro 5's on the intake. Worked like a champ for 3 years before the motor went. It's basically a big bucket of sponges, there's no trays.
I use an API XP-L now. If I had to choose between the 2 I'd save up the extra money and go with the XP-L.

Back
Top Bottom