Sponge filters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspencer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there anything wrong with cutting up foam rubber and putting on the intake of an aquaclear to prevent shrimp and babies going in...when cleaning my aquaclear 50, I found 8 shrimp in there.

Aspencer said:
Is there anything wrong with cutting up foam rubber and putting on the intake of an aquaclear to prevent shrimp and babies going in...when cleaning my aquaclear 50, I found 8 shrimp in there.

I presume u mean the the sponge when u say foam rubber right?
Ya no problem with that. U can also buy a media called pre filter sponge. They are better than using a sponge filter IMO. And I believe cost less. And don't buy a coarse sponge because baby shrimp can still get sucked in! Good luck

Sponge Filters

Hello Aspen...

Don't believe foam rubber would work. It would likely plug the intake tube. There are intake covers available on the internet. I've used them before to keep fish fry from being sucked up into the filter. They're very inexpensive. In the mean time, you can cut up a pair of nylons and wrap the piece around the intake and attach it with a rubber band or some sewing thread. You'll need to change the nylon piece fairly frequently, because plant debris will get sucked into it.

B

I use aquaclear foam inserts cut to fit over intake pickup tubes and also cut into sponge filters.
Yea, I saw them today at the petco...did not look at the price but assumed they were over $5...I will look tomorrow when passing by.

They do work well. I reviewed them in the reviews section.

Aspencer said:
Okay...I ordered them a few minutes ago and then got an email saying they are shipped...great customer service.

How often do you clean them?

Once a week I swish them in a bucket with dechlorinated water. Their customer service is wonderful. You should be getting them Friday or Saturday.

Once a week I swish them in a bucket with dechlorinated water. Their customer service is wonderful. You should be getting them Friday or Saturday.
Got them yesterday...they work great, easy to install but a little big in a 10g and a 20g but I like them.

Aspencer said:
Got them yesterday...they work great, easy to install but a little big in a 10g and a 20g but I like them.

Great. They are big, but when you get larger tanks.....

Deckape said:
Great. They are big, but when you get larger tanks.....

You can slip them on bigger filters to get them and the bigger tanks cycled quickly

Unrelated Post

Hello Deck...

With a handle like that, you must have spent a lot of time "Haze Gray and Underway". Are you a Boatswain's Mate? Hope I remembered the proper name of the rating. It's been some time since I've used the terminology. I'm sure I'm a little rusty.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Deck...

With a handle like that, you must have spent a lot of time "Haze Gray and Underway". Are you a Boatswain's Mate? Hope I remembered the proper name of the rating. It's been some time since I've used the terminology. I'm sure I'm a little rusty.

B

That's affirmative Shipmate. Retired BMC.... Nice to know ya and come to the Bosn Locker sometimes,....

Unrelated Post

That's affirmative Shipmate. Retired BMC.... Nice to know ya and come to the Bosn Locker sometimes,....

Good morning Chief...

Former Personnelman 2nd Class, USN, June 1977 to April 1986, a "Trusty Shellback" aboard USS Ranger (CV-61), ship's company, ship's now decommissioned. Also, spent some time in Officer Recruiting Support at the Recruiting Command in Denver, CO.

What's the Bos'n Locker??

B

BBradbury said:
Good morning Chief...

Former Personnelman 2nd Class, USN, June 1977 to April 1986, a "Trusty Shellback" aboard USS Ranger (CV-61), ship's company, ship's now decommissioned. Also, spent some time in Officer Recruiting Support at the Recruiting Command in Denver, CO.

What's the Bos'n Locker??

B

Hello there PN2. Anytime you're in Hampton Roads, anywhere I am, that's the Bosn Locker. You're welcome anytime. Thanks for your service.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom