Sponge filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
For all you breeders out their and anyone else who uses sponge filters, Do you have a specific type or brand you prefer above all others?

Thats basically the question lol. I was just browsing for sponges for tanks and am seeing a bunch of different kinds and was wondering everyones opinions.

Currently this has always been my go-to Bio Sponge Filter Betta Fry Shrimp Aquarium Fish Tank Double Head XY 2831 2822 | eBay, I personally like the double sponge but am curios to hear other people opinions/preferences.

I have several of those filters and like them, especially for the price. I have also used ATI hydro pro filters. I like them a little more, as they are less prone to clogging up, and don't rely on a suction cup to hold the unit in place.

I've started to make my own, it's incredibly easy and the cost is practically pennies per filter when making mutiples.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have several of those filters and like them, especially for the price. I have also used ATI hydro pro filters. I like them a little more, as they are less prone to clogging up, and don't rely on a suction cup to hold the unit in place.

Yea mine get clogged pretty often but they are dirt cheap. Another problem i ran into is with the 20 gallon model. Sense it doesn't hook right to an air stone and instead hooks to the tube on the side, normal 3/16ths airline tubing doesn't fit. I actually have to stretch the ends via a pen cap or something else to put them on.

I've started to make my own, it's incredibly easy and the cost is practically pennies per filter when making mutiples.

What type of foam do you use? and then just a generic airstone and pvc?

Yea mine get clogged pretty often but they are dirt cheap. Another problem i ran into is with the 20 gallon model. Sense it doesn't hook right to an air stone and instead hooks to the tube on the side, normal 3/16ths airline tubing doesn't fit. I actually have to stretch the ends via a pen cap or something else to put them on.

What type of foam do you use? and then just a generic airstone and pvc?

I use poret foam and this method http://www.livebearers.org/topic/56-how-to-make-a-diy-sponge-filter/

Very interesting, roughly what does it cost you to buy the materials to make x amount if you don't mind?

Very interesting, roughly what does it cost you to buy the materials to make x amount if you don't mind?

I have quite a bit of pvc laying around and a roll of airline so just the cost of foam ATM

Attachments

• 1451878007380.jpg
    1451878007380.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom