Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sponge in front of filter outflow

I am arranging my ten gallon for shrimp, and I have some pantyhose to tie around the filter intake. But I also found out that RCS don't like fast-moving waters. The very top of the water is a turbulent wavepool, and I needed a way to cover the outflow of the filter. I found a large piece of sponge to put in front of the filter outflow. Problem is, the sponge has been used for washing cars, so it's got car cleaner and dirt all over it. How can I clean the sponge to make it safe for RCS?

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
I am arranging my ten gallon for shrimp, and I have some pantyhose to tie around the filter intake. But I also found out that RCS don't like fast-moving waters. The very top of the water is a turbulent wavepool, and I needed a way to cover the outflow of the filter. I found a large piece of sponge to put in front of the filter outflow. Problem is, the sponge has been used for washing cars, so it's got car cleaner and dirt all over it. How can I clean the sponge to make it safe for RCS?
How many GPH is the filter? I don't think a wavepool at the top matters that much because they usually like to hang on to plants or sit on the substrate. Good idea covering the intake, you don't want shrimp or babies to get sucked in there. I wouldn't use a sponge like that, it probably has chemicals that can hurt the fish. I would just put pantyhose over the intake and see how it goes. If flow does become an issue try putting 2 layers of pantyhose over the filter.

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller View Post
Problem is, the sponge has been used for washing cars, so it's got car cleaner and dirt all over it. How can I clean the sponge to make it safe for RCS?
You can't. Once a sponge has been used in any soap, you cannot use it for fish-related items.

I have a strong current flowing from my RCS tank filter, they don't care. They hang out on the substrate or in the java moss, directly to the right of the flow.

I bought a small prefilter sponge and popped it over my intake. The shrimp love to congregate on it and I know they won't get sucked up into the filter.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
How many GPH is the filter? I don't think a wavepool at the top matters that much because they usually like to hang on to plants or sit on the substrate. Good idea covering the intake, you don't want shrimp or babies to get sucked in there. I wouldn't use a sponge like that, it probably has chemicals that can hurt the fish. I would just put pantyhose over the intake and see how it goes. If flow does become an issue try putting 2 layers of pantyhose over the filter.
Ok, that makes sense.

BTW, your PM box is full, so delete some of my messages to you so I can send you one more...

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense.

BTW, your PM box is full, so delete some of my messages to you so I can send you one more...
Sorry about that, I deleted some. What filter do you have on the tank?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sorry about that, I deleted some. What filter do you have on the tank?
It's an Aqueon Quietflow 10 (100 GPH).

Old 03-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
It's an Aqueon Quietflow 10 (100 GPH).
You will be fine as long as you have the water level above the filter outflow.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok.

One more question: I have a bubbler system in the 10 gallon (Pump, tubing, bubble stone) that I wanted to move to the 55 gallon. Would the shrimp need the extra aeration, or can I move the bubbler system to the 55 gallon tank?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do not keep any bubbler or airstone in my RCS tank.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you have plants like java moss in there it will be fine.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If you have plants like java moss in there it will be fine.
Awesome. I just need a few more supplies and I can purchase shrimp!!

Tags
filter, flow, sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com