Sponge Prefilters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
Seriously these things clog up too quickly.

We have two tanks with three filters between them- a 10 gallon with an AquaClear 20 and a 29 gallon with an AquaClear 30 and heavily modified Aqueon QuietFlow 10. The 10 gallon is where our pregnant female guppies live, so we have a sponge over the filter intake to keep fry from being sucked up. In the 29 gallon, after a harlequin got her tail caught in the intake, we added a sponge prefilter to one and have tied a media bag over the intake of the other. That was meant to be short-term. Aside from a media bag held on to a filter intake with a hair band being ugly, I'm not confident that it protects our critters as well as the sponge.

Whenever I do water changes, I rinse the media bag and squeeze these sponges just like I do for the sponges inside the filters. However, that's not enough anymore. The past few weeks, the sponges inside the filters with the prefilters are completely clean. Flow is usually not an issue.

This week it became an issue. We went to my parents' house and were gone about three days. When we got home, the AquaClear 20 had only a trickle. That's way too fast for clogging!

How do I protect tails and tiny critters without compromising my filters? And how much beneficial bacteria is in those sponges that will need to be replaced if I remove them?

I regularly rinse the heck out of the prefilter sponge on my shrimp tank. I'm talking full force hot water and intense squeezing. A ton of brown material (shrimp and snail poo).
I'm not concerned with BB as the frequent washing should prevent it from becoming established (that's what the filter is for).
In my Planted tank I use a stainless steel screen to keep the snails from getting stuck on the plastic intake slots.

I regularly rinse the heck out of the prefilter sponge on my shrimp tank. I'm talking full force hot water and intense squeezing. A ton of brown material (shrimp and snail poo).
I'm not concerned with BB as the frequent washing should prevent it from becoming established (that's what the filter is for).
In my Planted tank I use a stainless steel screen to keep the snails from getting stuck on the plastic intake slots.
Where did you get the stainless screen? I've seen some on Amazon but they're always unavailable.

Good point about the BB not getting established in the first place.

tetra does make a pre-filter that is a little more course like the pond pre-filters, they don't clog as fast , drs foster/smith has them I believe .

Where did you get the stainless screen? I've seen some on Amazon but they're always unavailable.

Good point about the BB not getting established in the first place.

I got one from Han Aquatics:
http://www.hanaquatics.com/ss-filter-guard/
These fit specific filter intake tubes.
Unfortunately, it appears they are out of stock. I would contact Han just in case they come in.

I use pond pump intake filters like this, buried under the gravel:

Pre-Filter.jpg

Last time around, cannister on the big tank went over 4 months before starting to clog.

These NEVER need cleaning - just shake 'em off during gravel sweep.

Back
Top Bottom