Sponges in Filter smell BAD!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello Everyone, about 6 weeks ago I decided to put Sponges in my filters just as extra along with the regular filter media. They're the kind you buy @ the store for household cleaning but without the scrub side, now whenever I open my tank lids it smells like an old dirty dish rag!!!! Should I remove them? My fish seem to be doing ok and all my params are good, I just don't think I can take the smell! :-( I also swish them around in tank water @ least once a week when I do PWC's anyone else had this problem?

Well the other ones are cheaper and I've read on here other people having good luck with them! They look pretty much the same as the regular household sponge! :)

Hmm..i dont know why it would make the tank smell...the sponge would smell cuz it has old fish food and poop on it.

You should be doing more than swishing them in aquarium water. Squeeze the heck out of them in water until all the crud comes out. It will take a few changes of water. They shouldn't smell that bad, but they will have a smell. Regular open cell poly sponges can be used, but I wouldn't use a cellulose sponge.

Yeah idk either but I guess I'll remove them I just hate to do it with all the BB on them and I'm getting ready to seed another tank with some of them when I get my other 55g back up and running in the next day or so.

BillD said:
You should be doing more than swishing them in aquarium water. Squeeze the heck out of them in water until all the crud comes out. It will take a few changes of water. They shouldn't smell that bad, but they will have a smell. Regular open cell poly sponges can be used, but I wouldn't use a cellulose sponge.

What's the difference? Idk much about sponges, sorry! :-(

Do you think the natural sea sponges would work the kind you can buy @ craft stores for painting would work? I've seen where u can get a whole bag of those for about $12 or so.

Maybe it's just me, my sinuses are REALLY bad today I will ask my Hubby later if he thinks it smells unusual! Thx! :)

I just did a pwc a couple days ago and I might have used a little too much Prime. Maybe that's what it is!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom