Spots on fins.....help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LH6887

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello. I'm a newbie here and hoping to get some help. I recently purchased 2 German Blue Rams and they developed tan color spots on their fins and tail. It started with one spot on the dorsal fin of one ram about a week ago, and is now spreading. The other ram got infected 2 days ago and showing the same spots. They are both very active and eating properly, and neither ram is acting inappropriately. I took the initial infected ram to my LFS and they said it was possibly a parasite, and gave me so RALLY to treat for 3 days per the instructions. Well it didn't help and the problem is getting worse. Please help with any info possible.
This is my current aquarium setup:

30 gallon planted tank
Seacham flourite substrate
Different species of anubias and swords
Fluval 406 canister filter
10 cardinal tetras
4 Cory
2 German blue rams
1 yoyo loach
7 Amano shrimp
PH - 6.8
DH - 6
KH - 6
Temp - 83

10 gal RO water change once a week
Seacham equalibrium, alkalinity buffer, and acid buffer used to get my water parameters where I want them. It is very stable water without much change and kept very clean.
Attached are some pics of my GBR's

Thank youIMG_1197.jpgIMG_1198.jpg

hello. I'm a newbie here and hoping to get some help. I recently purchased 2 German Blue Rams and they developed tan color spots on their fins and tail. It started with one spot on the dorsal fin of one ram about a week ago, and is now spreading. The other ram got infected 2 days ago and showing the same spots. They are both very active and eating properly, and neither ram is acting inappropriately. I took the initial infected ram to my LFS and they said it was possibly a parasite, and gave me so RALLY to treat for 3 days per the instructions. Well it didn't help and the problem is getting worse. Please help with any info possible.
This is my current aquarium setup:

30 gallon planted tank
Seacham flourite substrate
Different species of anubias and swords
Fluval 406 canister filter
10 cardinal tetras
4 Cory
2 German blue rams
1 yoyo loach
7 Amano shrimp
PH - 6.8
DH - 6
KH - 6
Temp - 83

10 gal RO water change once a week
Seacham equalibrium, alkalinity buffer, and acid buffer used to get my water parameters where I want them. It is very stable water without much change and kept very clean.
Attached are some pics of my GBR's

Thank youView attachment 302879View attachment 302880

I must add.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5

At first glance, I thought the problem was Ick but the more I look the problem might be a fungus. Might explain why the parasite medication did not work. If it was Ick the rest of your fish would have it by now. Since you keep your tank at 83 degrees, which is relatively hot, another reason why it's probably not ick. You might try Melafix. It's a non toxic antiseptic, probably won't hurt your shrimp. Fungus lives in everyone's tank, no matter how hard you try to keep things spotless. If a fish gets a scratch or little tears on the fins often times fungus
appears on the injury. Do very thorough gravel vacs during your WC's, this will likely reduce tank fungus. Hope it clears up.

Thanks for the reply V227.
Yes it doesn't look like Ick, nor any type of parasite that I've researched on the internet. It's weird that just my GBR have it and it's getting worse. The spots are getting larger.

The growths are probably something the rams were exposed to at the LFS, maybe a bacterial
Infection. I'm really not the go to guy reference fish meds. There are plenty of AA members that are and who will probably chime in. Research Melafix. I haven't used meds to treat my fish for many years, but I might consider the melafix if a problem occurs. It's some type of tree extract that works well on fin rot and exterior bacterial infections. Wal-mart sells it. Good luck.

Ok I found a picture on the internet of another GBR that has the exact same fin spots. They are calling it LYMPHOCYSTIS. Does that sound possible?

Ok I found a picture on the internet of another GBR that has the exact same fin spots. They are calling it LYMPHOCYSTIS. Does that sound possible?
I just looked this up in Google and it very well could be. I would recommend to quarantine them in a tank and treat with an anti-fungal med. See if that works.
Seacham makes a product called Paraguard that works really well for all types of problems.
What sucks about German blue Rams is that they are very suceptable to infections and breakouts while other fish in the same conditions will be just fine.

If the problem is lyphocystis, it's viral and their is no cure. I believe the only way to deal with cystis, very clean tank and good nutrition, anything to strengthen the fishes immune system. I've only had one fish, Denison barb, after decades of keeping fish, that had lyphocystis. It was a reoccurring cold sore looking thing. The barb lived a long life. None of the other fish in the barbs tank contracted the virus. Hopefully it's not that, but only a simple tank fungus.

Thanks guys for the response. I'm gonna take the fish back to the shop and let them deal with it, they are usually a reputable and well known shop. Im gonna treat my other fish and tank with Paraguard as a precaution, from what I've read it good stuff and not damaging. Hopefully the problem doesn't persist. I don't wanna have to break down my tank and start over, the tank is cycled and plants are thriving. It's hard to believe I got this problem. The fish are recently introduced, but the planted tank has been established for awhile. As stated, I only use RO water and I keep the tank very clean and with good water parameters. Wish me luck and thanks.

Back
Top Bottom