Spotted african leaf fish vs. Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where did u get the spotted African leaf fish? I ask just because I got one from either petco or petsmart and it is actually a spotted climbing perch. But either way it's one of my favorite fish! Just so you know it will eat anything that can fit in it's mouth so as it grows be careful not to put anything too small in with it.

Iv never had a grourami with mine so I'm not sure about how they would act but I will say he doesn't mind sharing his "home" with any of my other fish and not aggressive toward them at all.

I got him at petsuppermarket. Is this what a spotted African leaf fish look like this? That's what my little guy looks like.

Attachments

• image-698821167.jpg
    image-698821167.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 210
  • image-2176587357.jpg
    image-2176587357.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 213
He looks just like mine. I just got home and took a pic. (mine is in a QT tank at the moment, I lost 2 fish to ich already but he's holding on and doing great!)

Attachments

• image-1680288159.jpg
    image-1680288159.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,972
When I got him he had a little ich and I treated him, and now he is perfect :) I really enjoy him. He eats everything I give him, and he is learning to hand feed

Yours looks so much cuter than mine. Mine looks so mean. And yellow. Yours is orange.
When I feed my fish, he eats so much until he is stuffed and just floats around.

That's funny. Mine does eat a lot also! I do buy feeders for him every once and a while and he devours them in 1 or 2 nights. He's always been one of my favorites, he's about 1 and a half years old now and I'm really glad he's doing better in the QT tank :)

That's cool that yours hand feeds, I think mine would be too skittish for that! He hides a lot and comes out mostly when the light goes off.

Really awesome fish.

I picked up a couple recently - one hand feeds with raw fish and mysis shrimp but won't touch processed food. The other runs and hides whenever I get close, but will eat anything I try to feed it. They seem to do well with just about anything they can't eat, though I've noticed that they prefer a "quiet" tank.

Reiner said:
That's funny. Mine does eat a lot also! I do buy feeders for him every once and a while and he devours them in 1 or 2 nights. He's always been one of my favorites, he's about 1 and a half years old now and I'm really glad he's doing better in the QT tank :)

That's cool that yours hand feeds, I think mine would be too skittish for that! He hides a lot and comes out mostly when the light goes off.

How big is he?

Rokuzachi said:
Really awesome fish.

I picked up a couple recently - one hand feeds with raw fish and mysis shrimp but won't touch processed food. The other runs and hides whenever I get close, but will eat anything I try to feed it. They seem to do well with just about anything they can't eat, though I've noticed that they prefer a "quiet" tank.

Mine loves pellets, flakes, and especially live black worms!!!

He's prob 5in long and 3in tall. I'm not sure if he's still growing or not but he definitely isn't a picky eater! And I do agree that I think he likes a quiet tank he's just so slow moving and chill. I think that's why I like him so much. Lol

I just looked at the pic again and he does look small since there's nothing really to compare his size to in the QT tank. But he's a big boy (or girl I suppose) lol.

Yeah mine grew pretty slow, it took him a least a year to get that big and I'm not sure if he's even done growing or not.

They should reach about 6" long at most, though in the 5" range is pretty common. There's an LFS near me that has an old one in a huge tank with some cichlids and eyeballing it I'd say it's pretty close to 6".

Back
Top Bottom