spotted catfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greyicewater

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We recently added a spotted catfish to our 10 gallon tank, which has had three small swordtails in it for over a year (which were born in the tank). Everyone is healthy, and the catfish has seemed quite healthy, except that he's grown a liking for circling over the same spot on the glass over and over and over, varying in size, until the light goes out. He seems like he's just occupying himself but I can't help but think something is wrong...any ideas?

HI welcome to AA forum.

well it is quite a normal bahaviour for a catfish to act like this. i shall consider them as reclusive.Besides catfish is active at nite or dark tank so i would suggest to provide a hiding place for your catfish when u on ur tank light.

I'm guessing you have a Cory (Corydora). There are several types of spotted cories, so a picture would be needed to ID the specific type you have.

Alot of cories will look at their reflections in the glass. If you indeed have a corydora, you should get atleast 3 more. They are social fish, so like groups. Alot of times, when chasing their reflections they probably think there is another cory on the other side. Get the guy a few more, if it is a cory.

Does your guy look anything like this? If so, its a corydora! :)

The only catfish I can think of right now that is easy to find and is called a spotted catfish is a Sptted Raphael Catfish.. either way, a picture owuld help in identifiying exactly what it is.

type of catfish

Thanks for your help, everyone. He's definitely a cory. I can't find the cord to connect my camera to the computer right now (arrgh) but he does look like the one in that link. So if I one more in a ten gallon tank, with the other 3 swordtails, would that be too many fish in there?

I'd add him one more friend for now, just for the company, but with a view to this being a temporary home. Cories are best in groups of 3+.
Then perhaps you could think about upgrading your tank to a 20G? A 2' tank would make a nice home for a trio of them and your swordtails (and you could add a few more fish too :)).

Back
Top Bottom