Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2004, 11:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Spotted Green Puffer Fish need Info

I just Got 2 spotted puffer fish and like them alot, Just wondering if anyone had some info on them i tried searching but not to much luck.

Is there any site where i can get more info like

what they like to eat the most

what type of salt i should add to the tank . The lfs said aquaium salt and in the forums i read instant ocean . and will this make a difference with there health using the wrong salt.

Can they live with any other fish?

any info would be helpful

thanks

jeff

Old 05-30-2004, 11:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
Everything you should need to know is right here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishS...ex/gspsart.htm

Pufferpunk's Tanks
http://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRe...ew&userID=1918
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
hey jeff,
i just wanted to add some personal info, as i also have a GSP (green spotted puffer). mine is a very picky eater. he won't eat anything that the LFS said they fed him, and I even bought the same exact brand. lol

what he finally ended up liking is freeze dried bloodworms. (i haven't had a chance to try frozen yet. but ive read in lots of places that once they eat frozen, they won't go back to freeze dried. so im afraid to try. haha) and his favorite snack is live crickets from the LPS. he goes NUTS for them. goes into hunting mode. lol. and those are the only 2 things he'll eat! picky little fish.

2 things. don't keep them with any other fish. i had mine with a columbian shark 3 times his size, and at least twice as fast as him (GSP's aren't the best swimmers in the world. haha) and they got along great for the first week or so, and then 1 day the shark was missing part of her dorsal fin.

and the other thing is to make sure and get a hydrometer. it's used to test the SG (salinity) of your water. they do need to be in brackish water (basically half way between FW and SW) and you can't try and guess the SG. between water changes, evaporation, etc, you will never know where it's at. so make sure you have one.

good luck!

-brent
Old 05-31-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

what sould the sg (salinity) be for a brackish tank?

i have gotton frozen brime shrimp and they go crazy for them i also put a few guppie fry from my comminity tank in there so see if they like them.

Thanks for all the great tips im going to get a hydrometer tommorow

what type of salt do you use in your tank and how often do you check it?

jeff
Old 05-31-2004, 12:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess you didn't reat that article? All those answers are in there. Brine shrimp aren't very nutricious--mostly water.

Pufferpunk's Tanks
Old 05-31-2004, 01:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufferpunk
I guess you didn't reat that article? All those answers are in there. Brine shrimp aren't very nutricious--mostly water.
ok i guess i can figure it out if i get a hydrometer i wasnt sure how the hydrometer where marked and if i can see that the water is half way between fw and sw
Old 05-31-2004, 01:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
yea jeffs, it's all marked off on the hydrometer. you put it in the water, and the needle will rise and point to a number, and that number is your SG. i personally keep mine at approx 1.015 because my columbian likes it high. i think most people are lower, as that's getting pretty close to marine.

i completely forgot that my puffer absolutely loves snails. at first that was all he would eat, before i got him eating food that i actually put in the tank. he ate every single snail i had in there in 1 night... the tiny "infestation" type snails. now i buy him the larger ones (dime to nickel sized) from the LFS for 25 cents a piece and he sucks them right out of the shell, it's great to watch! hehe.

and like pufferpunk said, unfortunatly brine shrimp isn't very nutritious. i don't have to worry about that because my puffer won't touch it, but my columbian loves it. haha. it's fine for a "snack" but it's pretty much no source of nutrition. i do recommend that you read pufferpunk's article if you haven't yet. she can be a little mean to people (maybe she calls it straight forward, i don't know. don't take it personally though pufferpunk).

good luck! post if you have more questions, that's what we are here for! most of us won't jump down your throat.

-brent
Old 05-31-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No I'm not mean, just like you said--straightfoward. I've been told I have the patience of a saint for folks willing to learn, but you have to read what I suggest 1st. Then ask away. You don't just add some salt (marine salt) & try to get it somewhere in the middle. This is a living being that needs proper, exact care. You need a cycled tank (how long has your tank been set-up?). You need to start the SG at whatever the LFS has been keeping it in & raise it .002/week. It's all in the article, I highly suggest you read it several times. I wrote it so folks can get all the info they'd ever need on this fish, in one place.

Pufferpunk's Tanks
Old 05-31-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufferpunk
No I'm not mean, just like you said--straightfoward. I've been told I have the patience of a saint for folks willing to learn, but you have to read what I suggest 1st. Then ask away. You don't just add some salt (marine salt) & try to get it somewhere in the middle. This is a living being that needs proper, exact care. You need a cycled tank (how long has your tank been set-up?). You need to start the SG at whatever the LFS has been keeping it in & raise it .002/week. It's all in the article, I highly suggest you read it several times. I wrote it so folks can get all the info they'd ever need on this fish, in one place.
My tank is fully cycled i did a fishless cycle in a 30 gallon tank. It took about 4 1/2 weeks to cycle. sorry i missunderstood about the salt but my lfs told me a half of handful of aquarium salt thats why im asking question about it. I read the artile and helped me out alot. i didnt see the post with the link to the article the second time i responded sorry if i came off rude..

Just 2 qustions that i dont get

i feed them mysis shrip thats what the lfs said i thought it was brine shrimp but i just read the package.

is aquarium salt the same as marine salt?

Thanks for all the help i and i fully understand the gsp thanks for all the help.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope, aquarium salt is not at all the same as marine salt. You must use marine salt. Don't believe anything your LFS tells you.

A fishless cycle shouldn't take longer than about 10-14 days tops. How was it done?

Pufferpunk's Tanks

Tags
puffer, puffer fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com