Square tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I didn't find anything similar to this in previous topics.

Does anyone have a square tank that isn't very tall? Mainly something to give more swimming space for the fish and larger exposed surface area of the water. Thin rectangular tanks are nice for saving space and showing off but I would rather have a squarish tank to allow more swimming space. A 30" X 30" tank that is 12" tall would be about 47 gallons while offering 900 sq inches of swimming surface area as opposed to a 55Gallon tank which gives 624 sq inches.

Other than the larger floor space occupied what problems would there be with such a tank? Is it simply the fact that all of the fish are not as easily viewed that keeps a tank of such dimensions from being popular? I think it would make for a better tank for bottom feeders for sure...and give more aquascaping options as 12 or 13 inches of depth (seems the standard depth for rectangular tanks up to 55gallons) tends to force a more linear approach to layout in the tank.

I would almost consider a "corner" style tank if I could find a shorter one with otherwise large dimensions.

(This is mainly just for informational purposes when I decide to get a larger aquarium many years down the road).

The closest thing I've seen to a square tank are the "cubes" that I've seen around lately. I think the biggest one I've seen was around 30 gal though.

A tank in the dimensions that you're asking about would most likely be a custom tank. I have seen som curved glass corner tanks that might fit what you're looking for, but the shortes one is about 20" high.

I love the 30 gal cube tanks from oceanic. There is a 50 gal semi cube from them aswell. Its something like 3' long and 18" deep and 2' tall or something like that.

Yeah I browsed oceanic and all glass aquariums' websites before I posted this to see if there was anything similar to what I would want. I don't want too deep of a tank as I have found that I enjoy bottom feeders more than other fish (of course I don't have and have not yet had any schools of active mid-top dwellers).

I was thinking a tank as I described would be great for having a large group of cories or a few different varieties of smaller loaches.

A 40 gallon breeder tank might work for you. They are 36x18 and 16 inches deep so they have 648 inches of surface area. These tanks are a very good combination of tank volume and sizing that works good for bottom feeders. The 18 inches of width allows for a lot of cool aquascaping as well.

Wouldn't you have to make a custom stand for that footprint?
I can see it being hard to place around the house(unless you have all fishy people livin at home that won't mind the odd furnishing piece :mrgreen: )

It would be easy to furnish though

I'd be a little concerned with the 12" depth depending on the Species of fish you are planning to keep. For example a good sized tang may find it a little stressful to always be in shallow waters, as these waters, in nature, likely represent the largest risk to them. I'd guess that having some depth certainly adds a feeling of security for the critters. Even 16"/18" tanks are likely too shallow but better then 12" considering the relative size of the fish.

Why not a 30x30x18?

Also - don't forget that your Aquascaping may result in even shallower waters.

I could be wrong, just some other thoughts on the subject.

Tom

Custom stand is no problem...I'm not to sure about making a custom tank though as I don't have experience cutting glass/acrylic/polycarbonate and sealing it to waterproof and pressure/weight standards.

I did find a "coffee table" aquarium that was basically a slightly smaller version of what I imagined with a large glass top.

I am almost more interested in the fish husbandry aspect as opposed to developing an ornamental piece for the house so a big boxy space consuming item is fine by me.

Plastic Land in New York will make anysize you want as will many other places. These guys have great prices and will do functional units as well.

212-925-6376

TheMadNucleus said:
I'd be a little concerned with the 12" depth depending on the Species of fish you are planning to keep. For example a good sized tang may find it a little stressful to always be in shallow waters, as these waters, in nature, likely represent the largest risk to them.

Why not a 30x30x18?

Also - don't forget that your Aquascaping may result in even shallower waters.
Tang? Is that a saltwater fish or a fruity drink?

The issue of depth and security is something I had not considered. Are fish aware enough to realize they are in a closed area where there is no threat of predators happening by?

Really I was thinking of this type of tank for smaller corydoras (3.5" and smaller at adult size) and smaller loaches (dario, skunk, sun, yo-yo, etc those that stay under 5"). With the only other fish being a small school of small danios.

For aquascaping I was thinking about having a raised corner with a cliff to provide a small cave like area being the only real raised portion of the tank and the remainder being fairly level (a big piece of driftwood with lots of branches/roots would probably be nice in the middle). Other than that just some plants.

30"X30" X 18" gives nearly 70 gallons of water. That would be quite a nice amount of water for spreading out contaminating by products of the fish but I'd rather do 32" X 32" X 16" If I were to make it deeper. 18" actually isn't too bad. I just don't really care for the tanks which are over 20" deep while providing very little swimming space given the volume of water contained.

oops - thought I was swimmin' in saltwater

Yeah - for the fish selection you mention 12" is probably fine - but you know, in this hobby there is a standard, truthful credo:

Bigger is better and the more gallons per anything is better :)

I'm still laughing about the fruity drink - actually a Tang is a saltwater fish but I have one and the way he acts - he might as well be a fruity drink.

Back
Top Bottom