Staghorn and green spot algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robo-snickers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, so im starting to see strands of staghorn algea spead on some of my plants and drift wood and i have an anibus plant that is slowly being covered in green spot algea, it looks like the leaves are slowly dieing because of this. I have an otto who seems to be doing fine but hasnt touched those 2 kinds of algae, i also just purchased 2 amano shrim and 2 cherrys a few days ago, havent had them long enough to notice if they are helping...

so do you guys recomend and type of fish that can help take care of this? i heard SAE were good, but i think them growing 6 inches will be large for my 29G tank, i also heard they were agressive.

You need to correct the problem that is causing the algae. Algae eaters can help but aren't the answer. What kind of light and how long do you leave it on daily? Do you dose ferts and if so what kind and how often. Do you know your nitrate and phosphate readings?

Green spot algae is often caused from too much light left on too long. And many feel low phosphate is also an issue with causing GSA. Only nerite snails are capable of eating GSA, it is too hard for any other fish/shrimp/snail to eat.

Staghorn needs to be removed by hand (at least as much as possible) and again lower light levels. Also increasing circulation in that area can help. SAE they say can eat it but I've never personally heard of one actually eating it. You might also try spot treating it with hydrogen peroxide or Excel.

Back
Top Bottom