Stains on tank hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the stains on the lid of my fish tank ? At fish I thought it was the salt I use in my ten gallon that gets splashed out with the air bubble and drying out to these white crusty stains but then when I set up my 29 gallon and it's in the process of fish less cycling I am starting to notice these stains too and I have not used any salt in the 29 gallon tank ? :thinking:

If its calcium it's not bad unless it's on the lighting system and you could get it off with a wet paper towel. Is it like kinda crusty

KPCustoms said:
If its calcium it's not bad unless it's on the lighting system and you could get it off with a wet paper towel. Is it like kinda crusty

Well it ruined my old light fixture the button no longer works lol it's on a timer ! It's annoying though !

It's calcium and magnesium carbonates. It's the solid form of what makes hard water "hard". It's mostly unsightly but not necessarily harmful. It's best to not let it accumulate.

Its also called "hard water stains" if you want to look up removal techniques.

aqua_chem said:
It's calcium and magnesium carbonates. It's the solid form of what makes hard water "hard". It's mostly unsightly but not necessarily harmful. It's best to not let it accumulate.

Its also called "hard water stains" if you want to look up removal techniques.

Thank you ! :thumbsup:

Hard water stains indeed. Can remove with razors or paper towels with hot water on them. Cleans the black hoods up nicely, IMO.

So I'm assuming I have hard water ! That's something to take into account when adding fish to my almost cycled 29 gallon tank :thinking:

Usually that also indicates higher pH. You should ask around you area to see if you can find a KH/GH reading, as "hard water" has different meanings to different people. And honestly, it's not as big of a deal stocking wise as people make it out to be.

IMO, the best way to keep the stains under control is to stay on them and not let them accumulate. Just my 2 cents.

aqua_chem said:
You should ask around you area to see if you can find a KH/GH reading, as "hard water" has different meanings to different people.

7.6 high ? That's my ph and what do you mean by that ?!?! :Thinking:

7.6 is on the hard end of the spectrum. I would guestimate that you hardness is around 10 or so.

By different meanings, I ment that to a person with KH/GH of 3, 10 would seem very hard, but compared to someone with a KH/GH of 17..... it's not quite as hard :D

aqua_chem said:
7.6 is on the hard end of the spectrum. I would guestimate that you hardness is around 10 or so.

By different meanings, I ment that to a person with KH/GH of 3, 10 would seem very hard, but compared to someone with a KH/GH of 17..... it's not quite as hard :D

I understand now ! But what does this mean?

aqua_chem said:
I guess I'm not understanding you. What does what mean?

Sorry for the confusing :banghead: the hardness of the water does it matter for the fish tank and the fish ? :thinking:

Most fish can adjust to your PH. Mine is also 7.6 and my fish seem to all be doing fine. I just keep an eye on the PH. You don't want it crashing....bad news.:eek:

swimwithme said:
Most fish can adjust to your PH. Mine is also 7.6 and my fish seem to all be doing fine. I just keep an eye on the PH. You don't want it crashing....bad news.:eek:

How can the ph crash ?

Back
Top Bottom