Stale fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vb1946

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had some trouble with nitrite levels today so I did a 50% water change and syphened off bottom layer of gravel, I noticed that a lot of fish food stuck inbetween the aquarium plants could this be the trouble why the water so high in nitrates, it read 0.3mg /1 (orange colour)
Thanks for any help

Any contributing ammonia factor is going to add to nitrates. Decaying organic matter, food, and fish waste will raise it. So yeah the uneaten food will raise nitrates. How often do you do water changes?

I do about a 20% water change a week sometimes twice a week all depends if gravel looks slightly mucky, then I usually clean off top of gravel, I don't usually have any probs just last nite noticed a couple of fish at top gulping air that's why I tested today and done water change, I had only cleaned gravel and filter 2 days ago, so don't know why sudden change.

30ppm isn't terribly high for nitrates. I know my test kit recommends that you keep it below 40ppm. Personally I keep mine below 20 because of the fish I have. But a 20% water change isn't going to dillute the nitrates a whole lot, especially for a heavily stocked tank. If you continue having problems I might suggest some shrimp or snails for a cleaner crew to help with the accumulation of food. You might also try turning your filter off during feeding time so more food stays at the top

Thanks for info, I do normally turn filter off at feeding time as food would just swirl round and go to bottom, maybe I will get some clean up shrimp or snails, thanks for putting my mind at rest as to the nitrates.

You're welcome about the nitrates. Also I forgot to mention, if your fish are gulping air at the top there might be too much CO2 in the water. I have to adjust my bubbler occasionally when some of my fish start that and it usually solves the problem within a minute.

Back
Top Bottom