Stand and weird fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaida

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a five gallon tank that I have set up on my upright piano. Although I've been wanting to actually use the piano but one of my goldfish (I believe he's a fancy goldfish) will start to do flips and he will swim really weird. My other goldfish don't seem to care. I've now noticed that the specific goldfish will just float almost like he's dead but once I go to him he'll perk up and I have to keep poking at the glass so he perks up again. Is there a specific reason he does this because all the other fish are normal and swim fine. I've almost had him for a year now. Thanks
(There's also a filter in their tank but I had to exchange it since the one in the aquarium kit I bought was way too strong and it was meant for a 10 gallon tank)
I really care about my fish, as well as my other pets. Many think it's dumb to care about fish but I think they are as important as any other pet. They all swim to the front of the tank when they see me c:

I'm sorry to tell you, but Goldfish need large tanks or ponds to thrive.

2 Fancy goldfish should be in 40 to 50 gallons minimum. With big filters.

A regular or comet Goldfish needs even more room.

For now test tank water daily ( get an API master test kit) and do water changes probably every other day. Use conditioner.

Never feed fancy goldfish any floating food. Use sinking pellets or presoak flakes wit tank water.
It sounds like the fish is having swim bladder issues. Get frozen green peas, take one, defrost it, skin it and offer it to the goldfish. If these are tiny baby goldfish you can squish the Pea if needed. Feed green peas at least one time weekly to prevent impaction and swim bladder issues.

Temporary fixes can be a sturdy new/clean Rubbermaid bin made into a indoor pond. Or check craigslist for used tanks if you plan to keep these fish long-term.

Goldfish grow very quickly, if they cannot grow they die. Fancy goldfish can live 15 years or more. Single tail – common goldfish can live 25 years or more.

SolidGold on YouTube has excellent goldfish care videos especially for the fancy goldfish.

Last edited:
I know they require 20 gallons, and for every fish an extra 10. Although I am a college student and cannot afford that large of a tank and I don't really know if my piano can handle the weight of something that heavy. I can't really buy a stand because I have four very active pups and I don't want them to drop my tank...I will feed him what you recommended and see what changes. He used to be in a smaller tank and he was doing fine, it's just been very recent that this started happening. Or whenever I play my piano, which I assume is him trying to tell me I suck:(
I think he's fancy because he looks more flowy; his name is Bubbles
My other goldfish are just the 10 cent ones; Pitaya, Rambutan, Rafiki and Mufasa. Simba died because of his special fins :c

It's cheaper to build your own stand if you're knowledgeable in carpentry, it doesnt need to be fancy just sturdy and level im about to build one for my new 150 gallon I ordered getting it without a stand saved me 500.00 I got all the materials to build my own for 80.00

I know they require 20 gallons, and for every fish an extra 10. Although I am a college student and cannot afford that large of a tank and I don't really know if my piano can handle the weight of something that heavy. I can't really buy a stand because I have four very active pups and I don't want them to drop my tank...I will feed him what you recommended and see what changes. He used to be in a smaller tank and he was doing fine, it's just been very recent that this started happening. Or whenever I play my piano, which I assume is him trying to tell me I suck:(
I think he's fancy because he looks more flowy; his name is Bubbles
My other goldfish are just the 10 cent ones; Pitaya, Rambutan, Rafiki and Mufasa. Simba died because of his special fins :c

Goldfish latest recommendations are 29g first Fancy 20g each additional. Larger is better.
Commons ? 40g first fish and ponds are better.

Just get a 40-50g heavy duty Rubbermaid bin and put it on the floor. A screen top will keep out the dogs.

And a large tank on a stand is not going to move if a dog touches it. Think 400 lbs for a 40g plus substrate.

You can use sturdy dressers, tables, used tank stands.

Your fish will continue to die I'm very sorry to say if you try to keep such fish in a tiny space.
Can you post a pic ?

How many Goldfish do you have total ??? 5 ???
1 Fancy and 4 Commons/Comets ????

Poor fishies.

Pick your favorite. Try to save 2 of them. Rehome the rest. And Fancies do better with other Fancies. The Commons outgrow and outcompete with them for food.

I'd rehome all of them before they die of ammonia poisoning. They cannot survive, they will stunt and die young in such a small space.
Fancies hit 6" and live 15+ years
Commons hit 8-12" and the record is 37yrs.

A 5g is suitable for 1 Betta and maybe a couple of Ghost Shrimp.

For now ? Daily big water changes with extra Prime to detoxify as much as you can.
They are living in poop soup. Too many fish in too small a tank. Harsh words, but I learned the hard way.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

I'm not actually trying to bully you. I'm very strapped financially. I get it. I joined a local club and had a member gift me a 55g tank with stand, with filter and lights. Another member gave me sand. Another member gave me rocks and wood. Other members gave me plants.

Love your fish, but do right by them. You are right, they aren't just decoration, they depend on you.

Craigslist can help.

IMG_2628.jpg

I've this fish for almost a year now, and as I said before they used to have a smaller tank. I did weekly water changes, I never used any conditioners or anything and they were perfectly fine. Especially if they're still alive, the only reason I had a fish die was because when I bought him I didn't realize he was missing most of his fins. The fancy is the biggest fish at the moment, he's probably 3.5 inches. I'm just estimating. Again the rest of the fish are fine, none are swimming funny and they all eat very well

My lfs gets used tanks in all the time re silicones them and sells them cheap, this tank is 400.00 with the stand and 2 Marineland emperor filters (obviously I would chose a different filter, lids, light, this is not the tank I ordered as it is way to big lol
but the light im looking at is this one for 80.00 for the one I ordered (used) don't know how good of a light it is
WavePoint T5 48" High Output Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 4X54W

Just don't know if I can use that light cause the 150 i got is 6ft that lights only 48 so I guess not
9b019e62a227ac66f2c95e3364af889e.jpg

FB_IMG_1479714695444.jpgFB_IMG_1479714688157.jpg

My lfs gets used tanks in all the time re silicones them and sells them cheap, this tank is 400.00 with the stand and 2 Marineland emperor filters (obviously I would chose a different filter, lids, light, this is not the tank I ordered as it is way to big lol
but the light im looking at is this one for 80.00 for the one I ordered (used) don't know how good of a light it is
WavePoint T5 48" High Output Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 4X54W

Just don't know if I can use that light cause the 150 i got is 6ft that lights only 48 so I guess not
9b019e62a227ac66f2c95e3364af889e.jpg

View attachment 291211View attachment 291212

Ask your light question on a seperate thread please.

Good point about used tanks. Also always do leak test.

And as a general knowledge thing...never just slap High Light on a tank unless you are willing to add CO2. Or you'll just grow an algae farm.

Back
Top Bottom