Stand structure question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src

Aquarium Advice Freak
The 125G tank that I picked up came with a stand. Now that I'm about to put it all together, I saw something that seems odd to me. The stand is constructed so that the full weight of the tank is supported on both ends and in the middle. There are no supports that run the length of the tank. Should I be worried?

When I first inspected the tank before buying it, it was filled with water and substrate (no fish), and everything seemed to be in order. I have to assume that this stand has been used, and secure, because the previous owner says it was.

I know that you are supposed to let the bottom glass bow, but should the frame be supported along the full length, or is this an "industry standard" practice?

Thanks!

I have to say I have never run into this, but it seems a little odd to me as well. I have always thought that all sides are suppose to be supported IMO. Was this a DIY stand? I would rather be safe than sorry. You could always add a couple of support boards. Basically it boils down to, is the weight distributed evenly so no stress is put on the tank.

I had a lot of concern about a stand once and I googled something like "unlevel fish tank stand." I found so much info. about tank support it was crazy.

No, this isn't a DIY, it's a "store bought" stand. No brand information, though. Not surprising.

If it's a store bought you should be able to find out the brand and look into it. I am sure I am wrong, I just never had one like that. Better safe than sorry. Good Luck

it really depends on the thickness and type of board used on top, and whats being used for supports, most likely your fine since all the weight is being divided into 3 main points, the middle is the worst point since it has so much force pushing down, the middle support will stop this from bowing, your stand should be fine

Isn't the middle suppose to bow a little? I may be wrong, I am not a pro at stands. I also think it will be fine, however I was just thinking that is a lot of water. If the stand is made that way, fine. It can not hurt looking into to it. With the internet you can find anything. Maybe this is the design. I only had one tank this size and it was supported on all sides. I would say that tropicman may be correct if it is supported evenly. Just be sure it is level.

Back
Top Bottom