Standard tank sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefmonkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Obviously I am aware of the fact that there are a plethora of different aquarium sizes and shapes, too, but even so, there are a few "classic" rectangular glass tank sizes that are very common no matter who makes them, like the 20 long, the 29 high, and the 55. I wonder why these sizes are so ubiquitous, how and when they got established, especially odd numbers like the 29 (why not 30?), and the 55 (why not 50? Why not 60?). Anyone have an idea?

I think that its more the dimension of the footprint and height of the aquarium that is standardized in most tanks... these different configurations contain different gallons. I.E. I believe a standard 55 gallon is 48X12X12. and a standard 75 is 48X12X18. Im not exactly sure on those dimensions.. but that is the reason why the gallons are sometimes odd.

My tank for instance is 30X18X24 which equals out to 56 gallons. Just how it works out

My guess is that they developed the tanks based on standard length x width x height dimensions. The sizes just happen to calculate at odd size gallons.

Very reasonable answers. Makes sense that they would be made in either dimensions that would fit well in most houses, or from pieces of glass cut to standard sizes using standard machinery.

I wonder if tanks are built to a dimension rather than a volume, how many of the more common standard tank sizes don't hold exactly the amount of volume that their name would suggest. Another reason besides the displacement of water by gravel, rocks, etc. to actually count how many gallons it takes to fill your tank so you can know how much of a certain chemical or drug to add.

I would guess that almost none of them hold exactly the volume stated. But it would be tough to market a 53.27 gallon tank! Better to call it a 55. And my guess is that the convention is to round up, not down.

Back
Top Bottom