star wars themed tank and model kits in aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goatnad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For many years I have wanted a star wars themed tank. After thinking long and hard I figured the coolest tank would be the crashed xwing on dagobah. I have off and on searched the web reading posts about keeping model kits in aquariums and whether they are safe or not. I know you have to worry about what paints you use but i would seal the model once done with something like mod podge. Also only the nose of the xwing would be in the water. I can't find a definitive answer on this or even how people have gone about it. Has anyone done this? Anyone have any info at all to provide on this subject?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f3/af/ee/f3afee9fd220c33e8a8cdb2dbe02fb9d.jpg

I don’t know about model kits and or modge podge, but I do know that lego bricks are safe for use in aquariums. The plastic is inert, and you can use silicone to cement them together if you feel the need to. I’m not sure if a lego model would work for what you’re trying to create, but I figured it could be a possibility.

As long as the model wasn't made of metal I think you'd be ok if you sealed it or if you could find out what type of plastic the model was made out of you may not have to seal it.

Cool idea though [emoji106]

I don’t know about model kits and or modge podge, but I do know that lego bricks are safe for use in aquariums. The plastic is inert, and you can use silicone to cement them together if you feel the need to. I’m not sure if a lego model would work for what you’re trying to create, but I figured it could be a possibility.

thank you for the recommendation. yea im trying to go for a complete replica of the scene with proper detail and all. if i cant do a real model kit i just may look into the xwing lego kit they have out and see just how it might look.

As long as the model wasn't made of metal I think you'd be ok if you sealed it or if you could find out what type of plastic the model was made out of you may not have to seal it.

Cool idea though [emoji106]

oh it definitely wont be a metal kit. it would be one of the plastic kits and they are made of polystyrene. im mostly worried about what paints that are safe to use and what glue would be safe. guess i could just super glue the whole thing right?

I don't know what would be best as a sealant, but do NOT use Mod Podge to do it: it is basically a watered down white glue. It would dissolve in your aquarium and probably gunk up *everything*.

I don't know what would be best as a sealant, but do NOT use Mod Podge to do it: it is basically a watered down white glue. It would dissolve in your aquarium and probably gunk up *everything*.

I've used mod podge on a foam tree trunk for a paludarium years ago and it never dissolved or caused issues. Half of the trunk was completely submerged for the 6 months I had it running. After reading up on it a bit more it seems a lot of people say not to use it so guess I'm looking for a new sealant. Thanks for saying something.

Super glue cures white-ish underwater so I wouldn’t use that. If it is an aquarium safe plastic it seems like it would be okay, #2, #4, and #5 plastics I know are aquarium safe, if the colored bits were painted on and not made of plastic I’m not sure though? An idea might be to have someone 3-D print a model for you using a safe plastic?
Cool idea btw.

Super glue cures white-ish underwater so I wouldn’t use that. If it is an aquarium safe plastic it seems like it would be okay, #2, #4, and #5 plastics I know are aquarium safe, if the colored bits were painted on and not made of plastic I’m not sure though? An idea might be to have someone 3-D print a model for you using a safe plastic?
Cool idea btw.

The model would be glued, sanded and painted so the white of the super glue wouldn't be an issue. Now the idea of a 3d printed piece that's already colored properly sounds very nice. Sadly I don't know of anyone around here that offers that service. I live in Mississippi. It will be another 10 years before we get things like that. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom