Start Smart Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys new here I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 cherry barbs in it. I added start smart in 4 days ago. I am using API Master Test kit, the readings in my tank are

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite .50 to 1ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm or less

How much longer until I am fully cycled?

You seem about half way there. But you say that you started the cycle 4 days ago?? And you used a bacteria in a bottle starter correct? 4 days is crazy insane fast for a cycle unless you seed it.

Hi and welcome to AA:)
Is this your first test results? You usually monitor the results over a period of time to see how the cycle is going as every tank is slightly different!

My tank was running for a week before I put it in. I was doing a fish less cycle with Ace ammonia so mabey it kind of helped. So I just let it run until ammonia and nitrite go to zero?

Tetra123 said:
My tank was running for a week before I put it in. I was doing a fish less cycle with Ace ammonia so mabey it kind of helped. So I just let it run until ammonia and nitrite go to zero?

Correct :) then stock slowly

I used Start Smart.
Hi not used that myself so cannot comment really:ermm: best advice keep a close eye on the readings and feed very sparingly and stock very slowly and only when the readings are nil for ammonia and nitrite,nitrate will slowly climb naturally,thats why you need to do water changes to keep them down:)

Chances are, if that Start Smart stuff was even alive in the first place, it ate through all the ammonia and then died off leaving you with a nitrite issue. If you DON'T have fish yet then do a PWC and redose ammonia and see what happens. If you DO have fish do a PWC and keep an eye on those toxin levels.

stingrays4 said:
Hi not used that myself so cannot comment really:ermm: best advice keep a close eye on the readings and feed very sparingly and stock very slowly and only when the readings are nil for ammonia and nitrite,nitrate will slowly climb naturally,thats why you need to do water changes to keep them down:)

blert said:
Chances are, if that Start Smart stuff was even alive in the first place, it ate through all the ammonia and then died off leaving you with a nitrite issue. If you DON'T have fish yet then do a PWC and redose ammonia and see what happens. If you DO have fish do a PWC and keep an eye on those toxin levels.

Agree with both.

Back
Top Bottom