Started My Cycle :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewToFish1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
Its only been a day but excited that as of yesterday I started cycling my new tank. Replaced the rubbish cartridges with filter foam so both filters are running smoothly, all my live plants in, its going to be awesome when its done and can finally add fish.

But thought I'd make this thread just for my progress and if I need help during it as its my first tank cycle :lol:

So today's readings are

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Kinda funny, my mother can't understand how bacteria can grow from adding ammonia so she's left me to it :lol:

Is it normal for water to look cloudy? It was kinda clear this morning but its now nearly 7PM and its looking very slightly misty.

Perfectly normal, ammonia will cloud your water. As your bacteria grow it will clear up.

Readings for today:

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Seems ammonia has dropped from 4ppm to 2ppm pretty quickly. Do plants soak ammonia up during a cycle?

Seems fast to me as well..

Are you using filter media from an established tank? That would speed things up.
Another possibility, I hate to say, is human error. You wouldn't be the first (or last) person to either muck up the test or misread the results.

I can identify with the excitement of cycling your first tank. Just be patient and let the process happen :). I made a ton of mistakes that could be traced back to me rushing things (still do sometimes).
Also, I wouldn't bother testing every day for the first couple weeks. Things aren't (typically) changing that fast, so unless you really like testing your water (which I kinda do) youre just using up testing supplies.

Seems fast to me as well..

Are you using filter media from an established tank? That would speed things up.
Another possibility, I hate to say, is human error. You wouldn't be the first (or last) person to either muck up the test or misread the results.

I can identify with the excitement of cycling your first tank. Just be patient and let the process happen :). I made a ton of mistakes that could be traced back to me rushing things (still do sometimes).
Also, I wouldn't bother testing every day for the first couple weeks. Things aren't (typically) changing that fast, so unless you really like testing your water (which I kinda do) youre just using up testing supplies.

I was thinking that, I did the tests as per instructions but the plants I bought were out of tank that had very healthy fish :)

Certainly the plants could have transferred some BB with them. It seems unlikely there'd be enough to have that big of an impact so soon, but you never know.
Keep testing and see if you're getting a consistent (or increasing) reduction of Ammonia like that.

What are you using as a source of ammonia and what are you using to test your water?

Certainly the plants could have transferred some BB with them. It seems unlikely there'd be enough to have that big of an impact so soon, but you never know.
Keep testing and see if you're getting a consistent (or increasing) reduction of Ammonia like that.

What are you using as a source of ammonia and what are you using to test your water?

I'm using 10% solution of pure ammonia called Jeyes House Hold Ammonia but has no detergents and using API's master kit.

My results for today, sorry pic is dark, my shadow got in the way so results look off :/

Ammonia: 1.0PPM
Nitrite: 0.1PPM (roughly, very small spike)

Haven't tested for nitrate yet.

18506104f34bc30534c717e42faa66b9bc9f20d7.jpg

Update guys, tested today and ammonia was 0.50ppm, nitrite 1.0ppm and now nirates are showing, not far now :D

Looks great! won't be long now and you'll be bringing home your first set of fishies.

Back
Top Bottom