starter fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am just looking to have a simple aquarium for my daughters. I have a 29 gallon tank. What would be good starter fish?

thanks,
Macman

I have had a 29 gallon tank for about 6 months now and my starter fish were 3 zebra danios they are nice because they are very active.

any platties/mollies/swordtails would be fine...basically any livebearers. Only dont cycle w/them...cycle w/the dead shrimp process. Do you know what i mean by cycle or no? if you dont lemme know and i'll tell ya (kinda long to explain if you already know!!!)

but ya, dead shrimp is the best/safest way to go...doesnt stress the fish that would have been going in the cycle.

HTH

Here is the fishless cycle article that everyone directed me to (it says its for saltwater but applies to FW too).

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

I cycled my 20 gallon in just under 3 weeks this way. In the past 3 weeks I have made 3 small additions- I now have 11 fish, and knock on wood, so far not a single trace of ammonia or nitites. I really recommend the fishless method (also you won't have to do any water changes- or VERY few) during your cycle this way.

Good luck!

If by starter fish you mean fish to cycle with, cycling with fish requires patience and restraint in order to avoid ammonia and nitrite spikes. But you can cycle with fish and not have ammonia or nitrite levels, if you have very few fish and feed sparingly. If you are considering using fish instead of ammonia or some other ammonia source, please check out: http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0017.htm
A little long and wordy, but it might save you from trouble and lots of water changes.

If, however, you meant fish that are low maintenance in a community style aquarium that already is cycled, Platies are colorful, Zebra danios are energetic, and both are easy enough to care for.

Thanks for the advice on the fish. Zebra danios sound like a good choice. I am looking at using Bio-Spira for cycling. Any comments?

Macman

Be sure it is refriderated when you buy it and that you keep cold until you use it. Add it at the sametime you add the fish. Good Luck.

Be sure to continue to check water peramaters using a test kit to ensure you keep ammonia and nitrites to a minimum...

There are also some more colorful schooling fish that you could add right away with the Bio-Spira. Some examples are: Lemon tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Head and Tailight tetras, Flame tetras, black neons, and glowlights.

Danios are alright, if thats what you like, but personally I like a little more color (and your kids might also).

Pick one type and get about 6 to start with when you add the Bio-Spira. Then a week later add another schooling type, a gourami, or cories. Then a week later add something else.

In my 29g tank, I have:
7 neons
7 glowlights
1 opaline gourami
6 panda cories
3 ottos

I am kind of bored with the neons and glowlights, but I chose them so I have to keep them. My 29g is heavily planted. The neons and glowlights are very colorful.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. One other question. I was given a piece of driftwood that has not been used in an aquarium for a couple of years. It has some green on it. Is it ok to use? Do I need to prep it?

Macman

stay away from the test strips, there a crisis waiting to happen, they go bad real quick when exposed to air, stick with the reagent test kits

Got my Bio-Spira in the mail today. It says I should add Bio-Safe, and Bio-Coat with the fish and Bio-Spira. Anything I can sub for them?

Macman

For the bio-safe or bio-coat you want to use Prime - its a declorinator and also stimulates slim coat development in the fish. a teeny bottle goes a long long long way.

Petsmart carries it also - its SUPER concentrated, so get the smallest bottle. And don't worry if it smells when you open it - it sort of stinks LOL. The smell goes away once its in th tank

Back
Top Bottom