starter kits & tank stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PotRoastMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been considering it for awhile, and now decided I'm ready to buy a 29 gal tank. I've been driving around to petco / petsmart stores today looking for a stand that I like. I don't like all of this composite wood crap, but I found ONE that I like (all glass - pine). I swear I must be inavisiable, at each store it took 10-15 minutes to find someone to help me, then another 15 for them to go search and come back and tell me they don't have it. I decided I should call around instead. After about 5 calls I finally found one that has the stand - But the stores closed because they were robbed last night! I think a higher power is keeping me from getting this aquarium... Whats with all these cheap stands? (well, actually they're cheap composite wood - but quite expensive) Does no one build things with real wood any more?

So anyway, here's my question.. I'm going to get a 29gal starter kit. I'm looking at kits from All Glass or Aqua Culture (Walmart). The all-glass kit is about $25 more. Is it worth the $25 for all glass? I plan to buy a nice filter, so the kit is basically for the tank, canopy, heater..

If your handy the DIY stand is the way to go.
Then you know it is going to be sturdy enough to hold the tank.
It's also fun.

Speaking from experience, the All-Glass pine stands are very sturdy and worth the money, if you do not have the time/ability to make one yourself. The stand is so very important (recently helped my neighbor clean up after a stand broke under his 29gal - fish/broken glass/gravel/water all over the brand new Pergo floor) and I would not skimp on a stand. To me, particle board and water do not go together, and I hav a feeling you feel the same way!

We bought a tank/stand combo from a LFS and my fiancé reinforced it in 7 places. It was sturdy, but now it's REALLY STURDY!!
If you can DIY--go for it! My fiancé is going to build a hood for the 80 gal one of these days (can’t complain, he’s currently putting together a shelf for my gerbils)!

What about those cheapo stands from bigalsonline?

Or...see if you can order a stand from petsmart.com or drsfostersmith.com.

I swear I must be inavisiable, at each store it took 10-15 minutes to find someone to help me, then another 15 for them to go search and come back and tell me they don't have it.

I've noticed that at the mom-and-pop stores its hard to get service because they are doing tank maintenence, which is acceptable and expected. At the big retail stores, the employees are doing anything else--as long as it involves going the opposite direction of an inquisitive customer. :lol:

welcome to the cult....er, hobby.
:)

have you looked on ebay yet? they have a search features that lets you look at aquarium stuff just for sale in your area. i haven't succumbed to multiple tank syndrome yet, but i've seen some amazing deals in my area that it hurt to let pass by. sometimes people let beautiful tanks and stands go very cheaply.

Found a deal, should have my stand, aquarium, glass top, and strip light by the end of the week. Great deal too, I'll post info after my deal is closed.

Now I'm thinking about substrate.. I want the tank to look very natural - and coincidently I'm heading to the lake this weekend. I'm thinking about bringing back a bucket full of sand / soil / rocks. Of course I'll wash the heck out of it, probably boil it, and do the vinegar thing. Any reason I should not do that?

Might be more trouble than it is worth. I would recommend boiling it and setting it out to dry in the sun, if possible. It will be a very nice setup like that, but be assured everything is free of parasites and other nasties that reside in our crystal native waters... :wink:

Big Als is great! I just bought my 50gal tank and stand from the Calgary store for $309!!!!! What a deal! I did shop around and in the end found Big Als to be the best deal for what I was looking for, and they are always willing to help you not like some of the other large pet stores.

Back
Top Bottom