Starting a betta tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klsbetta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I just joined this site so if this info is already posted somewhere, I'm sorry! Just link me to it if you could :)

I am starting a five gallon betta tank next month and I've seen a lot of different ideas regarding cycling the tank in prep for the fish and such. Some places say to cycle the water for 24-48 hours but others say to let it cycle for 2-4 weeks...it's all kind of confusing & leading me in different directions. I've had tanks before, an eighty gallon cichlid breeding tank and a forty gallon salt water, but I've never owned a betta. I'm already aware of the general care for a betta as far as a filter/heater/enough space goes. It's just the start-up process that concerns me!

Another question I had was whether or not it would be safe to buy a betta and then take it (in its cup) on a two or three day drive back to my house. Where I live, we never get any halfmoons in stock, only veiltails and crowntails. Although yesterday I saw a spadetail!

But yes those were my basic questions...someone mentioned fish-in cycling because I'll be getting the tank (which I ordered online) at the same time I would be getting the betta if I were to buy it in California as opposed to my city. Any info on that would be appreciated because I looked it up and it really confused me hahaha.

Anyway, thanks for your time!

The betta should be just fine on the drive provided that the temperature in the car isn't too extreme and you keep it out of sunlight.

As for starting the aquarium up there are two different ways to do it. Either a fish in or a fishless cycle.

Fishless - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Fish In - Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Do you currently have a fish tank that is running or know someone that does? If so you can just borrow a small amount of their bio media to put in your filter then it should give you an instantly cycled tank.

Alright, I'll definitely think about getting him in CA then. :) & I do not know anyone with a fish tank, but perhaps the lfs will let me use something of theirs! Generally, how long does cycling take?

Cycles can take up to two months to complete. For the most part you should be able to get away with 2 50% water changes weekly to keep the water parameters safe for him. You will still need to keep an eye on ammonia regardless though until that part of the cycle is finished.

Also, I will be adding live plants virtually right away, or asap after getting the tank & adding water. I'm assuming that would speed up cycling!

Live plants won't speed the cycling process, but they will make it so that the cycling process is gentler on any inhabitants you have (if doing fish-in cycling) by sucking up any excess ammonia or nitrites.

Okay thanks! I have no clue what I'll end up doing. Any advice is appreciated. :p

Some advice I'd like to give is make sure you can keep the cup at a stable temperature when transporting him. Would hate for you to find a great halfmoon only to have it die when you're almost home. Not sure what would be best though. Maybe a cooler and a heatpack?

Anyone else have ideas on how to keep the betta safe and confortable for a couple day drive?

Yeah, keeping him safe and happy really concerns me. Would he need to have some light every now and then or would it be best to keep him in a stable light level, even if it's dark?

Darkness will help keep stress levels lowered while going through the drive. Betta's are pretty tough, so he should be fine as long as you insulate his cup well and try to minimize abrupt stops/starts/turns as much as you're able. Don't feed him during the journey, as this will just make him poop more and foul up the water in the cup faster.

Alright, so I could keep him in a well-padded little cooler and secure him in a safe spot (or just hold him the whole way haha) thanks for all of the answers, I'm super excited for this tank! :p

I would put him in a small styrofoam cooler or something like that to keep him in for your journey homeward. Definitely use styrofaom though. It will help keep the temperature more stable and will prevent extreme fluctuation. Also, like everyone else is saying, keep the temperature in your vehicle comfortable for him. I have heard that doing a fishless cycle can be better if you want to do the least harm to your fish. What I did for my 10g was go to a lfs and get some substrate to help kick the process into gear. I hope this helps. :) Good luck!

Yes it definitely helped, thanks! If I go for getting one in CA I will get a little styrofoam cooler :) although I think I would just be stressed about hurting it on the car ride or whilst cycling...I might just get a crowntail here after my tank cycles!

Yes it definitely helped, thanks! If I go for getting one in CA I will get a little styrofoam cooler :) although I think I would just be stressed about hurting it on the car ride or whilst cycling...I might just get a crowntail here after my tank cycles!

Try checking aquabid for bettas. They sell a lot of beautiful ones there.

I've seen some from aquabid and yes they're soooo nice! It's very tempting but it would stress me out a bit, wondering if he's okay haha I'd rather have him with me if he had to travel. xP

If you transport him, I would use a larger container with air holes and yes, insulated and dark is good.

BUT cup or container make sure he starts out in clean water. Ask for an extra squirt of Prime at the store. That will diminish the Ammonia risk.
Make sure there is room for him to breathe. Don't fill his container all the way to the top.

Don't feed him till he gets home.

Could I possibly move him from his cup to a bigger Tupperware container with a locking lid on it? Or would it be better to keep him in the cup?

I think a large Tupperware container would be good. Make sure it gets rinsed well (no soap) before hand and also get a cheaper one. You will still need to poke a couple holes in the lid to help with oxygen flow and could be used in the future in case of fishy emergencies

Back
Top Bottom