starting a desktop tank at work - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimmy32

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a small tank that I'm not using at home.
I was thinking of getting rid of the sea-monkies at work, and putting this tank in.
The air temp at work is 82 degrees, so i wont bother with a heater.

I wanna know what type of filter would work best, and what kind of fish would survive in such a small environment ?

The tank measures - 9 inches tall, 1 foot wide , and 5.5 inches deep.
Like I said, its tiny.

thanks guys !

I think that works out at 2.57 US gallons which isn't much at all! Would you be able to fit a couple of small Tetra in that or would that be a bad idea?

thats what i was thinking.
They'll look much cooler than sea-monkies. :D

shrimp eh ? hmmm...that would be awesome.

What would I feed them ? I think theyre sensitive to heavy metals arent they ? so no tap water ?

Shrimp are only sensitive to poor water conditions and copper. As long as you keep up on the maintenance and don't have excessive copper in the tap water, you should be able to use the tap water and have no problems.

I would assume a carbon filter will take care of the copper...

I like the shrimp idea. Nothing but shrimp.

No, carbon won't help. No copper treated tanks, inverts just can't handle it. Copper will soak into the silicone in the tank and you'll never get it out. I use tap water in my tanks with no issues.

Shrimp is a very cool idea, especially for an office tank, as the need to feed daily just isn't there - so going weekends without food, even long weekends, isn't an issue in a planted tank with shrimp.

I have RCS in several tanks, and I love them.

ya i think a shrimp would be the coolest thing to have in thier i have a bamboo shrimp and it takes care of itself jus chilling by the filter and if it starts wandering around the bottom of the tank its clearly hngry and i feed it but that be a great one to have in thier if you have a filter system.

Back
Top Bottom